Animal Cruelty

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I hate people

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-125675c.html

stuff like that pisses me off more than anything else.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 178
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    why such a big deal for the tail of one puppy, when millions of animals (cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys etc) die to be your thanksgiving turkeys, macdonalds burgers or beef extract to the macdonalds french fries?

of course, i don't like any animals to suffer for having their tails, beaks, legs mutilated by man. or the idea of the animals never seeing sunlight in their life, or being boosted full of antibiotics during their short life before they are massacr.. transformed to beefs.

(think vegetarian.)
  • Reply 2 of 178
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you don't understand the difference between lopping of a tail for asthetic reasons and killing an animal to eat it?
  • Reply 3 of 178
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I think his point was what happens to the animal before it's killed for the table.

At least, that's *my* point. I'm a confirmed carnivore... by body simply has never taken to a vegetarian diet, despite repeated concerted attempts. Red meat (the redder the better - beef works, buffalo is better, venison is heaven), very very rare... that's what my body wants, so I give it to it in doses.

BUT... I don't eat fast food, I usually eat at restaurants that have a policy of only using hormone/antibiotic free and free range meat, and I only buy such for myself.

The killing of an animal for my consumption I have no problem with, if it's done humanely. (Heck, I've done it myself.)

What I do have a problem with is factory flesh.

In this case, there's *ZERO* point to it other than to satisfy someone's twisted idea of what looks 'fashionable', which is sick.
  • Reply 4 of 178
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member

Good one Alcimedes. I'm a meat-a-saurus, but that was pretty funny.

Anyway, I wouldn't let yourself get so upset by this Applenut, considering tens of thousands of pet owners purposely abuse their animals by starving them, not sheltering them during bad weather, kicking them, pitting them against other animals for entertainment, etc.

I will be first in line to support the "Life Sentences for Puppy Mill Owners" law, but a dog having his tail snipped by a knuckhead dog barber is far down my list of "animal cruelties".

Yes it was indirectly a cruel act but at least he's not guilty AFAWK of the above type offenses.
  • Reply 5 of 178
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Good one Alcimedes. I'm a meat-a-saurus, but that was pretty funny.

Anyway, I wouldn't let yourself get so upset by this Applenut, considering tens of thousands of pet owners purposely abuse their animals by starving them, not sheltering them during bad weather, kicking them, pitting them against other animals for entertainment, etc.

I will be first in line to support the "Life Sentences for Puppy Mill Owners" law, but a dog having his tail snipped by a knuckhead dog barber is far down my list of "animal cruelties".

Yes it was indirectly a cruel act but at least he's not guilty AFAWK of the above type offenses.

I'm not saying this is the worst, I've seen and read about far worse things..... but, it was in the paper today so it just annoyed me. and who knows how many dogs he has done this to. poor puppy :-(

I would love to be a vegetarian, honestly. My mother is a vegetarian. I am close but for a young adult its very hard to be one. Eating meat is just too convenient, and yes that included McDonald's and fast food. Right now the only meat I eat is chicken, hamburgers and meatballs I could give up meatballs and hamburgers rather easily. It's chicken, most specifically Buffalo Wings that have always been in the way of becoming vegetarian.

I hate cruelty to animals. But I dont combine killing for food with mutilation.
  • Reply 6 of 178
    so, if he would have eaten / will eat later the dog, cutting its tail is acceptable?
  • Reply 7 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

so, if he would have eaten / will eat later the dog, cutting its tail is acceptable?

don't be a $$$$ing shithead
  • Reply 8 of 178
    Giaguara, I'm with applenut on this one.

You're deliberated mixing mutilation with killing for food. We're deliberately trying to keep the two distinct.

Don't be a jerk.
  • Reply 9 of 178
    well, excuse me for being a vegetarian then.
  • Reply 10 of 178
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

See, that's *PRECISELY* what we're talking about.

Animal cruelty != eating meat. But you insist that there's no difference, and are trying to shove that point of view across in a really passive aggressive manner.

Just come out and say what you mean, will you? Or would that open you up to too much counter-argument?
  • Reply 11 of 178
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Human bodies are designed for an omnivorous diet. Eat too much meat and your body will suffer. Too little (or none) and you'll have to compensate for the lack of protien.

And besides, meat is yummy. there are plenty of food stores you can go to to get meat that has been humanely killed. Cageless chicken eggs and such.
  • Reply 12 of 178
    Bingo.

How the animal is raised and killed is much more important to me than whether or not it was killed at all in the first place. *EVERYTHING* dies.
  • Reply 13 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

(think vegetarian.)

Think un-natural. yeah cuz you know, peopel were intended to eat only veggies and have to take supplimant pills to survive.. see your teeth, canines for ripping into veggies, and molars for griding suppliments!

• Reply 14 of 178
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Dog tails, with a little bit of A-1, really aren't that bad.
  • Reply 15 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Dog tails, with a little bit of A-1, really aren't that bad.

especially in a bun, thats where the wold famous 'hot dog' came from

• Reply 16 of 178
    sometimes i think it is wrong to eat meat, but then my senses kick in because i like meat. sometimes i get grossed out by the concept of it but i don't think i'd make a good vegetarian since i don't like most veggies
  • Reply 17 of 178
    My opinion is that if you can't bring yourself to kill the animal yourself, you've got no business asking someone else to do it for you, and probably shouldn't be eating it. But hey, that's just me.
  • Reply 18 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

My opinion is that if you can't bring yourself to kill the animal yourself, you've got no business asking someone else to do it for you, and probably shouldn't be eating it. But hey, that's just me.

which is why i would like to be a vegetarian.

hell, i can't even kill an ant.

but those damn buffalo wings!
  • Reply 19 of 178
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Tastes like chicken.
  • Reply 20 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

which is why i would like to be a vegetarian.

hell, i can't even kill an ant.

but those damn buffalo wings!

yet, you will kill another living thing(fruit/vegetable) just because it cant scream or cry when you kill it?

think of all the apple tree's you kill when you eat one apple and toss the seeds.. poor baby apples....