Can someone please enlighten me?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since when did Apple ever release a QuickTake 100 Digital Camera?

I just read this excerpt from macminute.com:

Playboy names Mac top product 'that changed the world'

December 2 - 01:55 EST__ In its 50th anniversary issue, Playboy ranked the original Apple Macintosh computer No. 1 in its "Top 50 Products That Changed The World." The Mac isn't the only Apple product on the list, however. The iPod came in at No. 12, and Apple's QuickTake 100 digital camera landed the No. 17 spot. _[ Email this story ] Apple's QuickTake 100

I know I am naive but when was this released? Did someone find out about the upcoming PlayBoy article in advance and Apple is going to release this?

If I am just being stupid, correct me in the same spirit of saving a lemming from jumping off a cliff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    1993?

http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/9403cdi.html

WHOOOBABY! This thing has a 640x480 resolution...that's like 307 Kilopixels!!!!

• Reply 2 of 11
    tltl Posts: 33member
    I actually have one sitting in front of me right now. Don't have a camera handy (ha?) or else I'd prove it fer ya.

and ya, it's ooooold. Copyright on this thing is 1993, like ^ said.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tl

I actually have one sitting in front of me right now. Don't have a camera handy (ha?) or else I'd prove it fer ya.

and ya, it's ooooold. Copyright on this thing is 1993, like ^ said.

How about a mirror? Or does the QuickTake not work anymore?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I used one when they first came out. Doing situational art (a boy throwing a ball over a tree for example) changed dramatically with the advent of the digital camera. We used to search all kinds of books with poses and people to use as reference art which was time-consuming and it was difficult to find the exact angle/pose that you wanted. Now illustrators take a pic of a buddy in a pose and trace over it. Piece of cake. There are few artists out there that draw that stuff right out of their head. Most of us need some help - the Quicktake came to the rescue. It didn't work very well though and ate batteries like Godzilla eats trains!

Chas
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I remember taking pictures with those while in high school, c.1996-97. It was the shiznit at the time, and digital cameras were still rare enough that the school only had two of them: one for the computer classes, and one for the photography classes and newspaper staff.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    The Quicktake 100 was the first digital camera. It cost $700 when it came out. It could store something like 8 pictures at 640x480. It truly was an innovative product, and it does belong in a list of 50 products that changed the world.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I had a Quicktake 150 way back when. Didn't they also have a 200?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    The Quicktake cameras were made for Apple by a Japanese camera manufactuer. Possibly Yashica or Konica? Anybody know?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

The Quicktake cameras were made for Apple by a Japanese camera manufactuer. Possibly Yashica or Konica? Anybody know?

I believe the 200 was based on Kodak
  • Reply 10 of 11
    resres Posts: 711member
    I got one when it came out, and it was a lot of fun. The main problem with it was that it did not hold very many pictures.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The QT 200 was a rebranded Fuji DX-7. I have one. Still use it, too.

Actually, since it's still my *only* digital camera, I'd kinda have to.

Man, that sucks.