This is F*cking sick

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For some reason they thought it was a good idea to release this guy

I'm up at UMD and there are all sorts of posters out there looking for this girl. I can't believe they let this guy out, he $$$$ed up twice and they still let him out. Granted it was 20 years later but it only took him one year to try to aduct again after his first conviction for sexual assault. This is repulsive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    This guy needs surgery so he'll need one of these to pee.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I agree that our policy of releasing sex offenders back into communities is FUBAR, but I'm a little confused in this case. Has he confessed to taking / killing this woman? Is there any evidential connection at all besides him being a registered offender?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I just read that story too...I can't believe it. I firmly believe that sex offenders should be locked up for life, especially if they committ more than one offense. I hope they find that girl alive.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    it is wrong but this girl was stupid. she gets threatening calls at work (victoria's secret) from a guy who know her name and she goes to her car alone
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

This guy needs surgery so he'll need one of these to pee.

That is one funny animation. I particularly like how she stands there at the end, blinking, looking around like, "Ok, what the hell do I do now?"

Also, gives a whole new meaning to "penis envy."
  • Reply 6 of 17
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the biggest problem with the sex offender situation is two fold.

first, there's no known "cure" for the antisocial behavior. the rate that recommit is insanely high.

however, once you've served time for the crime you committed, that should be the end of things.

having to register, notify neighbors etc. is out of line, IMO.

if you want to punish sex offenders for life, you should give them a life sentence. this half and half stuff is bullshit.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

first, there's no known "cure" for the antisocial behavior. the rate that recommit is insanely high.

however, once you've served time for the crime you committed, that should be the end of things.

if you want to punish sex offenders for life, you should give them a life sentence. this half and half stuff is bullshit.

Agreed.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

I've always thought there might one day be a tech fix. Someday there will be implantable GPS trackers. Just permanently implant them into sex offenders on release and track their movements for life. If a kid comes up missing or someone is raped, check their location at the time.

Regarding sex offenders in general, I agree that the recitvism rates are so high that one is justified in applying special precautions for first time offenders and very hash punishments for repeat offenders. It's important, however, to remember that our justice system isn't infalliable and mistakes are made. I recall a few examples of teenagers who are permanently labeled as sex offenders because they had sex with their consenting, younger girlfriend. There have also been custody disputes where parents were accussed by their former spouse of sexual abuse just to obtain custody.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    The question I have is why didn't the store contact the police over those threatening phone calls or, if they did, why didn't the police do anything about it?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    They probably did exactly what they're allowed to:

Document that there was a harassing phone call, but not actually do anything about it. The caller hasn't *done* anything *yet*, you see, so any actions the police take as preventative would step on the caller's rights.

However, this is why reporting such things to the police is important - enough documentation and the slightest offense that crosses a line can be hammered home by a judge authorizing warrants or restraints.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Maybe I didn't read far enough down the page but, all I got out of it was "arrested in connection with". I suppose being a registered sex offender is cause enough to be questioned, but for the arrest to stick there has to be some evidence, right? I admittedly didn't read to the last word but the article didn't seem to be going anywhere. I stopped after the part about the quaint little neighborhood, the guy being "nice", etc.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Castrate him. Then he can join the Sing Sing choir.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

First... the only known working rehabilitation for sexual offenders is actually behavioral conditioning (think pavlov and the dogs). Although when it comes to women, such as this lovely specimen, creating a negative effect every time he sees a woman is not going to create a productive human being.

Second- If there is no way to rehab these people why bother with a life sentence? If there is no way to reintegrate them into society why keep them around at all? Wouldn't it be more feasible to simply toss him on death row?

Or maybe we could ship him over to France, they seem to like American criminals over there...
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by FaydRautha

First... Wouldn't it be more feasible to simply toss him on death row?

Or maybe we could ship him over to France, they seem to like American criminals over there...

ya, but death row does not exist in MN, but the gov's working on it.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

ya, but death row does not exist in MN, but the gov's working on it.

Yeah, but France does. If he can't live like a civilized person then he shouldn't. Rules aren't that hard to follow.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Frace doesn't have the death penalty! They, along with a lot of other European countries, abhor it and think we're barbaric for still having it ourselves. If you want to make sure someone gets the death penalty, hope they commit the crime in Texas or else are guilty of a federal crime. Don't send them to France.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naderfan

Frace doesn't have the death penalty! They, along with a lot of other European countries, abhor it and think we're barbaric for still having it ourselves. If you want to make sure someone gets the death penalty, hope they commit the crime in Texas or else are guilty of a federal crime. Don't send them to France.

I was joking because of all the American criminals who hide in france, Like the ex-hippie who killed his girlfriend and stuck her in a trunk, or Norman Polanski...

Hell they even celebrated Mumia Abu-Jamal a convicted cop killer and gave him parisian citizenship. If they want our criminals so bad, let them have 'em.