New Displays delayed untill new G5?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It looks like the new displays will be delayed untill the release of the next revision of the G5.

When do you think they will be released now? January or later? Maybe march?

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I'm gonna say MWSF will see speedbumped towers.

Lots of SW talk.

One more thing...

displays?

seems that displays would only be "one more thing" worthy if they do release a 30" HD display.

I hope apple does bump the PMs at MWSF (or around that time). They need to keep the momentum rolling. The opportunity to surpass the wintel world in terms of performance is at hand. time to end the debates. Match the clock speed and triple the performance of top-end wintel machines.

Ok, that won't happen at MWSF, but MWSF's speed bumped PowerMacs will be an important stepping stone.

All of this is pure speculation, and now that i think about the recently introduced 1.8DP model, i'm beginning to think SF is too soon for another G5 speed bump...

edit: wow did i get off topic. Too much exam studying i think.

to clarify: i think a display update will come at MWSF. If it includes an update to a 30" HD display, the displays may just be the "one more thing" product
  • Reply 2 of 16
    kid kkid k Posts: 15member
    i know this doesnt have anything to do with the displays, which couldn't come sooner.. how bout adding a second bay to the tower with the g5 revision (ability of an addition of another oem superdrive)...???? does anyone think they would do anything like this?? seems kinda unlikely but would be a nice option...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by kid k

i know this doesnt have anything to do with the displays, which couldn't come sooner.. how bout adding a second bay to the tower with the g5 revision (ability of an addition of another oem superdrive)...???? does anyone think they would do anything like this?? seems kinda unlikely but would be a nice option...

An odd thing happened. There was a vocal group who wanted the option of dual optical drives in a mac. Apple decided to make the MDD macs to satisfy those people [and to add a "yummy" to an out-dated architecture]. Apple found out that only a small percentage of people actually put two drives into the bays. There isn't a reason to go through all the extra engineering for something that won't be used by the vast majority.

If you want additional opticals, go Firewire. That said, I'd love to see the ability to add more drives internally, but 2 drives with 512GB of storage isn't so bad
  • Reply 4 of 16
    well, i was waiting to get diplays and everything until the new g5 anyways... oh well
  • Reply 5 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It is interesting that you imply that Apple found out that few people put two dirves into their machines and then you contradict that by expressing the desire to do just that.

Any conclusion that Apple may have comed to with respect to the number of optical drives that one is likely to need in a G5 is wrong. First it is future expansion that most people want, not the immediate need for an extra drive. Second; most people should realize at this point that there is a huge amount of developemnt going on in the optical storage world, what is state of the art today will be outdated soon. The desire for that expansion bay is to allow one to adopt the new technology as it becomes available. Which is very shortly.

Finally Firewire or USB is not an accptable way to connect a drive that should be internal to you machine. Who seriously wants to clutter up their work area with silly drives. It is interesting that in the PC world the use of external drives is limited with good reason.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by visigothe

An odd thing happened. There was a vocal group who wanted the option of dual optical drives in a mac. Apple decided to make the MDD macs to satisfy those people [and to add a "yummy" to an out-dated architecture]. Apple found out that only a small percentage of people actually put two drives into the bays. There isn't a reason to go through all the extra engineering for something that won't be used by the vast majority.

If you want additional opticals, go Firewire. That said, I'd love to see the ability to add more drives internally, but 2 drives with 512GB of storage isn't so bad

• Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

I'm gonna say MWSF will see speedbumped towers.

Lots of SW talk.

One more thing...

displays?

seems that displays would only be "one more thing" worthy if they do release a 30" HD display.

I hope apple does bump the PMs at MWSF (or around that time). They need to keep the momentum rolling. The opportunity to surpass the wintel world in terms of performance is at hand. time to end the debates. Match the clock speed and triple the performance of top-end wintel machines.

Ok, that won't happen at MWSF, but MWSF's speed bumped PowerMacs will be an important stepping stone.

All of this is pure speculation, and now that i think about the recently introduced 1.8DP model, i'm beginning to think SF is too soon for another G5 speed bump...

edit: wow did i get off topic. Too much exam studying i think.

to clarify: i think a display update will come at MWSF. If it includes an update to a 30" HD display, the displays may just be the "one more thing" product

True with the release of the dual 1.8 makes one think that the newer G5 are will come out a little bit later than thought but I wonder why would anyone buy the 1.6 in the current lineup even with the price reduction. I have seen alot of specs showing some not so impressive scores on the single 1.6 and with the 1.8 dual being so close in comparison tests the 2.0 seems like a weak spot in the line up due to its price. If money is no object than 2.0 is clearly the choice but most of us can't afford the 3 grand plus even more for extra memory.

That leads me to think maybe they will release the newer g5 line up in january with the new displays. Maybe dual 1.8/ dual 2.0/ dual 2.2

Its really not that big of change more so than a shift towards the 3.0 goal.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    All I want is to be able to buy the same 17" 1440x900 LCD that's in the iMac and the Powerbook.

I think that's a terrific monitor for general productivity and for watching DVDs... but I'd like to be able to buy without a computer hanging off the bottom!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by visigothe

I would imagine that the largest percentage of customers that would order MDD Macs with both bays loaded were waiting for G5's, or opted out because they would have to upgrade shortly after the G5's came out and only bought the MDD's to hold them over.

As for new displays I didn't expect them till the next PM update, there is no need to release them any sooner than that, and due to USB2 and FW800 there may be more than just cosmetic changes coming to them that need to be worked out.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    kid kkid k Posts: 15member
    all i know is in the music business two drives would be priceless at times... the future tech. point was well taken too.. good point.. although im sure they will never offer it with an open port...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I just bought a 17" Apple display. Though it is rather overpriced, I like it alot. It looks great on my desk, especially with my soundsticks.

My only wish for the new displays are slight price drops.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

Any conclusion that Apple may have comed to with respect to the number of optical drives that one is likely to need in a G5 is wrong.

There was a fairly heated discussion about this on AI when the G5's were announced. People were basically spit into 2 camps: those who wanted to throw their old >80GB HD's into their machine, and those who didn't give a crap because anyone in their right mind who needs more than a half a tera of storage is using SCSI or FC.

I understand your point about opticals what with Blue Ray making headway in the last week, but as far as pure storage is concerned I fall into the latter group. 2 HUGE internal HDs offer far more disk space than *most* users need, and if they need more they are probably *professionals* that require LOTS more space than that...and at a far faster throughput than S/ATA can provide.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    crayzcrayz Posts: 73member
    For me, the issue w/ no IDE isn't that SATA won't let you get enough storage space, just that it's expensive.

My Mac has 240GB of space in it in two IDE drives. My PC has 360GB of space in it in two IDE drives. Total cost for all of the 600GB of space was about $300, and I got (accidently) ripped off on one of the HDs, otherwise this would be lower.

There's no way in hell I could get 4 SATA drives & 600GB of space for anywhere near $300. Is SATA better? Sure. But unnecessary and overly expensive as well, at this point.

If I just dropped some big $$$ on a G5, I wouldn't be too happy about having to go out and throw down a few hundred more on some new SATA drive when I've got perfectly good IDE ones already.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crayz

If I just dropped some big $$$ on a G5, I wouldn't be too happy about having to go out and throw down a few hundred more on some new SATA drive when I've got perfectly good IDE ones already.

The G5 is a workstation. It is for workstation applications. Applications with a requirement for fast drives eg Final Cut Pro. Imagine if the only internal drives usable were IDE, there would be hell to pay!

By the time the G5 gets into consumer Macs, SATA will be the consumer standard, and the price will be as such as you won't worry about it. As far as using your old drives, technology moves on. Old tech ALWAYS gets left behind. Serial to USB, ISA to PCI, SCSI to FireWire...

Barto
  • Reply 14 of 16
    crayzcrayz Posts: 73member
    The G5 is a workstation. It is for workstation applications. Applications with a requirement for fast drives eg Final Cut Pro. Imagine if the only internal drives usable were IDE, there would be hell to pay!

Umm howso? I heard no complaints about IDE in pre-G5 times. Beyond the G5 is the only decently performing computer Apple currently sells, so to pretend that the only people using it will editing DV streams is frankly a joke.

Lots of people will be using it for lots of things. e.g. I bought a Dell 400sc, which is sold as a "server." Well, the thing still has 6 USB ports, SATA & IDE support, 8X AGP, etc. It really doesn't pay to pointlessly limit the ways in which your product can be used.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i can't wait to see what apple has up their sleeves for the displays...

i really don't mind that they won't be out for a while, that gives me more time to save up!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crayz

Umm howso? I heard no complaints about IDE in pre-G5 times.

1) The low end Power Mac G4s were consumer Macs, due to Apple's four corner line up

2) SCSI with 10,000rpm hard drives was an option on the G4. It isn't on the G5 (except externally).

Barto