Age of Mythology won't run

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Whenever I try to run AOM, it gets to the part that says "loading game database" (it's the second part of that screen with Zeus holding his lightning) and then gives me an "Initialization failed" error. I'm running 10.3.1 with the latest ATI drivers on a dual G4 800 with 512MB of ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro. I've tried repairing permissions, reinstalling AOM, trying a different user, creating a new user, restarting the computer without my second monitor or USB sound card plugged in -- pretty much everything I can think of short of reinstalling the OS. I also tried loading it on a computer at the Apple Store, and it worked fine, so there's nothing wrong with my CD. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    It must not be agreeing with your OS. I'm pretty sure it's not with your setup (BTW is pretty sweet). Sounds like you'll have to reinstall your OS if you want to run it. I have AOM on my dell. Pretty nice game, already beat it, but it's fun to still play for a time filler.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

It must not be agreeing with your OS. I'm pretty sure it's not with your setup (BTW is pretty sweet). Sounds like you'll have to reinstall your OS if you want to run it. I have AOM on my dell. Pretty nice game, already beat it, but it's fun to still play for a time filler.

Ok, I did a clean install of the OS on a quasi-spare drive I have. Still doesn't work. Come to think of it, Age of Empires II was extremely buggy on this machine too. It usually crashed before I could finish a game. Other games and apps run fine. What is it with these Age of Whatever games and my computer? (mad at the games, not at you, Altivec_2.0).
  • Reply 3 of 6
    you're not installing it anywhere wierd are you? also have you repaired permissions?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

you're not installing it anywhere wierd are you? also have you repaired permissions?

No, it's going in the Applications folder like everything else. Repairing permissions is first thing I tried.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Only other thing I can think of is it's conflicting with maybe with the video driver Mac OS came with? Would resetting your pram help?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Only other thing I can think of is it's conflicting with maybe with the video driver Mac OS came with? Would resetting your pram help?

Sorry, I didn't notice that there was a reply here. It's a bug in the game. I've got (well, used to have) a partition named "Data", which is the same as the name as a folder in the Age of Mythology folder and it was getting confused.