iphoto has been a bad little boy!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
so iphoto starts to suck after a while especially since i have about a gig of large images in there. i know i'm putting a lot of strain on it, but are there any good programs to replace iphoto.

i've seen some hacks for it too, but i haven't tried 'em yet. does anybody recommend a certain hack?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    There are progams that let you break up your pictures into multiple albums (say, 2001, 2002 and 2003), and then choose which one is loaded into iPhoto when you launch it. It's a hack-around for the slowness you get when your picture collection grows too large. Do a search at versiontracker or macupdate for iPhoto, and you'll find several programs that do it.

Haven't tried one myself yet, but my photo library is getting up there for my poor, wheezing iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I like iView Multimedia but it is not free.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    iLife (including iPhoto) seems to be due for an update. Hopefully the next version of iPhoto will help performance.

Maybe wait until after MWSF in January before buying a replacement for iPhoto. If the new version still has speed issues, then its time to start looking into alternatives.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    A person can always archive old photos on CD or DVD, too.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Keep moving. Nothing to see here.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Are we sure this isn't Eugene??
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Voodoodle,

There are several tricks to speeding up iPhoto.

1. Turn off the "drop shadow" option in the iPhoto preferences menu. This alone provided a significant speed boost on my iMac.

2. Delete images that aren't assigned to an album. I think most users import their images, assign the useful ones to an album, and leave the trash ones in the iPhoto library. Install the Applescripts from Apple's website (see http://www.apple.com/applescript/iphoto/index.html ), run the "find unassigned image" script, which places all images not in an album into a new album titled "unassigned images." Next run the "delete album and contents" script and delete the "unassigned images" album. This script will not only delete the images in the "unassigned images" album, but the relevant ones in the photo library as well. I did this two days ago and dropped my library size from 4,100 images to 3,000 images, saving 1.1 Gb in space. It's amazing how much trash accumulates.

3. As an earlier poster noted, there are apps designed to break the iPhoto library into multiple libraries for ease of use. See iPhoto Library Manager at Versiontracker.com for details.

4. Another app, iPhoto Diet, will strip away the original version of modified images (based on selectable criteria), and leave only the modified image intact. Again, lookup the app at Versiontracker.com for details.

5. You can rebuild the iPhoto library by holding down option-shift as the app starts, but I've found this to give uncertain results for no clear benefit. This is an undocumented feature, so don't look in the iPhoto help section for guidance. Some users, however, report good results in improving speed. Research this before employing.

Finally, no matter what you do, ensure that your iPhoto library is backed up before doing anything.

I understand that there are several very capable and worthy commercial products for photo management, but I don't suppose they are integrated with other Apple apps, e.g., Homepage.

iPhoto clearly needs several improvements, among them are a major speed boost, better album management (why can't I create an album within an album), and a more understandable method to file organization.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I not only like iView MultimediaPro, I love it. Not enough to pay the astral sum of greenbacks they want for it though (what was it, 160$?). So maybe Apple could take a cue from them for their next release?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gobble gobble

2. Delete images that aren't assigned to an album. I think most users import their images, assign the useful ones to an album, and leave the trash ones in the iPhoto library.

Hunh. I use the albums for showing other folks, but the keywords for organization more than the albums.

Anyone else do this?

Ergo, I have probably 80% of my pics unassigned to albums.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Hunh. I use the albums for showing other folks, but the keywords for organization more than the albums.

Anyone else do this?

Ergo, I have probably 80% of my pics unassigned to albums.

Different strokes for different folks, but that Apple posted a script to find unassigned images suggests that I'm not the only one who uses the albums as the primary means of organizing photos. But again, whatever works for you.