New PowerMac pictures leaked

Comments

• Reply 661 of 688
    noexitnoexit Posts: 20member
    What?? who the hell would hide there mac?!?! i have my G4 siting on my desk so i can look at, and so every one else can see it too... now for my PC i have that POS under my desk.
  • Reply 662 of 688
    mrsparklemrsparkle Posts: 120member
    [quote]Originally posted by NoExit:

<strong>What?? who the hell would hide there mac?!?! i have my G4 siting on my desk so i can look at, and so every one else can see it too... now for my PC i have that POS under my desk. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Right on brother.
  • Reply 663 of 688

<strong>What?? who the hell would hide there mac?!?! i have my G4 siting on my desk so i can look at, and so every one else can see it too... now for my PC i have that POS under my desk. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Damn right! Mac in full view!

However, I think I would prefer the PC under someone elses desk...
  • Reply 664 of 688

Amen. Macs need to be displayed proudly. I used to be a consultant, and sold a lot of G4s, and when I sold G4s as a replacement for a Beige box, the clients suddenly wanted the machine on the desk instead of under it. I even had people buying new desks just so they ould fit the thing up there!

If someone buys a brand new G4 or G5, I'd bet even money their first impulse is to display it proudly on the desk.
  • Reply 665 of 688
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    This thread is pretty mch useless now everything has pretty much been said about 8 pages ago and everyone that keeps saying things is either repeating himself or someone else.

bleh i said it poop on me
  • Reply 665 of 688
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    As for the port/vent question, someone (and I hope this isn't going over the line) did post a nice picture of a close up of the back of the front of the machine. Phew.

Anyway, there were NO connections between those ports/vents and the motherboard which leads me to believe that they are in fact (port)/VENTS and not PORTS/(vents).

There.
  • Reply 667 of 688
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    God can we stop this. THEY ARE VENTS. We have seen the picturers of the inside of the box and clearly they are NOT ports.

Go back four posts and you can see that large watercooled fans do exist, so there is every possibility of a very hot processor requiring extreem cooling.

We know that Apple has done all it can to get it self into a position of power in the creative markets, except hardware. Athelons (sp) are beating the pants of G4's when it comes to rendering. I think we are looking at a very high end professional machine. It looks as thought it is designed to take a hot fast processor and needs an industrial strength cooling system. This is probabley the machine we have been waiting for but I doubt that many of us will be able to afford it.

I suspect that we could be looking at a machine that is going to cost $10,000 upwards. If you think this sounds stupid, go to the Apple store and spec a machine with the highest memory, DP, scussi, etc and see what it costs. Well this machine is going to be a quantium leap forward from that.

If what I am saying is true, that is why Apple is saying that there is still a long future ahead for the G4. I think we are going to still see progressive enhancements of the G4 and DDR etc will be added. But this machine is for another market.
  • Reply 667 of 688
    Post links or details on how to get the pics and your account will be disabled.

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: Jamie ]</p>
  • Reply 669 of 688
    I saw that and was not convinced. It was by no means an ideal picture for making that kind of call. I'm not going to say what it is or isn't, but that picture did not show enough.
  • Reply 670 of 688
    exactly how many cubic inches of air do you think one of those fans can move, not enough to be described as "hoovering". some one posted something about a metal plate mounted in the area behind where the "vent" is, that metal plate looks pretty well ventilated to me. im glad they made it so sturdy to hold that filter in place. seriously though, if it is a series of ports where is the control board, not behind the metal plate. imagine what a bitch it'll be to service if it blows out.

by the way who the hell is going to hook an ipod up to an Xserve, downloading music at work, no you want use it as a hard drive that way you can write it off as a biz expense, give me a break. if you want to convince me that anyone with a dedicated rack mount computer is going to hook something up on that firewire port pick something legit like this

<a href="http://www.sancube.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.sancube.com/</a>;

now that i could hook up to a firewire port.

i think the "holes" are ugly no matter what. one last thought, firewire cables are rather stiff and inflexible. at that angle the cords drape right over the bottom handle, it all seems a bit awkward.
  • Reply 671 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by Da sinister:

<strong>by the way who the hell is going to hook an ipod up to an Xserve, downloading music at work, no you want use it as a hard drive that way you can write it off as a biz expense, give me a break. if you want to convince me that anyone with a dedicated rack mount computer is going to hook something up on that firewire port pick something legit like this

<a href="http://www.sancube.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.sancube.com/</a>;

now that i could hook up to a firewire port.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll tell you exactly who, musicians. The Xserve appeals to people other than sys admins. Many musicians already have racks for effects processors and things of that nature. If you were in that situation wouldn't an Xserve appeal to you? Don't you think a musician is likely to have an iPod as well?
  • Reply 671 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan Brisby:

<strong>Post links or details on how to get the pics and your account will be disabled.

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: Jamie ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well ya don't have to get nasty. See my post in the Suggestion area and call Jon. I'll give ya a couple hours to decide what ya want to do.
  • Reply 673 of 688
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan Brisby:

<strong>

Well ya don't have to get nasty. See my post in the Suggestion area and call Jon. I'll give ya a couple hours to decide what ya want to do.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not being nasty. I did see your post in Suggestions.

If you post details on how to get pics of the supposed new PowerMac G4 your account will be disabled.
  • Reply 674 of 688
    oh yes musicians, well i dont much care for mixing with that sort of "low" folk, so ill just sit here in my white tower and look self important.

seriously you got me on that, i could see a legit use for it, i on the other hand would have to have a REAL GOOD excuse if my boss walked in to my office an saw me unplugging an i pod from my mac.
  • Reply 675 of 688
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    So what's going on here? Which pics were removed? The ones that have been posted in this thread from the beginning (with the plastic covering it) or were there new pics that were more detailed that Apple got a pissy about and made AI take them down? If that's taboo to discuss here, please eMail me if you'd like to share.
  • Reply 676 of 688
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    [quote]Originally posted by MrSparkle:

<strong>

I'll tell you exactly who, musicians. The Xserve appeals to people other than sys admins. Many musicians already have racks for effects processors and things of that nature. If you were in that situation wouldn't an Xserve appeal to you? Don't you think a musician is likely to have an iPod as well?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm a musician, I have an iPod, I have lots of racks and I love gear that I can rack mount. Having said that, there's no way in hell I'd put an Xserve in my studio. My Powermac is already loud enough, but it's kind of hard to do critical listening (mixing, mastering) with a jet engine-type whine screaming away. I even had to get rid of one of my firewire drive cases because the fan was too loud.

Now, I'd love to have a quieter studio-friendly rack-mount Powermac...
  • Reply 677 of 688
    They do make sound proof racks though, don't they?
  • Reply 678 of 688
    [quote]Origi
  • Reply 678 of 688
    An iPod also makes a damn handy sysadmin tool. Easily portable, bootable, and in common with all the best sysadmin tools it looks cool. Seriously though, you can fit a lot of patches, updates and utilities on one of these things, along with a boot up system, and still have room for many hours of music. And if you can get the company to pay for it... then why wouldn't you wish to have a firewire port on the front of a mac to plug it into
  • Reply 680 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by MrSparkle:

<strong>They do make sound proof racks though, don't they?</strong><hr></blockquote>

yep an i just sent him a link to one