Should I take my G5 Back?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I bought a dual 2.0 G5 on the 10th of november. I felt that this was the best model for the price since I wasn't going to buy a 1.6 and I felt that the single 1.8 was a good choice but for the extra bucks the 2.0 was a better buy. If the 1.8 dual was availible then that would of been my choice but I had no idea that it would change so fast. I was thinking maybe the 1st of the year or a bit later.

Well now the dual 1.8 is faster and the same price as the single was when I bought. I gues what I am asking is that the dual 1.8 is not as fast as the 2.0 but for the money it is close enough. I also have a felling that the 2.0 are going to change soon because why would you buy a 2.0 now with the dual 1.8. I don't think its worth the increase in speed for the cost.

Other than the fact of taking the thing back and having to reinstall my software I could save some bucks.

It was my understanding that you could take any g5 back without restocking fee if under 30 days from purchase.

What would you do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by linefear

It was my understanding that you could take any g5 back without restocking fee if under 30 days from purchase.

Only if you bought it with a Pro Card at an Apple Retail Store
  • Reply 2 of 14
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    If you're going to save some money and don't need the speed of dual 2's...then go for it.

The dual 1.8's look like the best deal in the lineup.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I really think it depends on your money situation. You have the best Mac ever - that's pretty cool. But you will save a lot of money if you go down to the dual 1.8, assuming you can do that with no restocking fee.

If I were in your same position, I'd probably downgrade and use the money I'd save to BTO a Radeon 9800 video card. Power like that deserves an awesome video card. The FX 5200 is pretty bad and the Radeon 9600 is okay but not awesome like the 9800. Depends on what you'll be using it for though.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I really think it depends on your money situation. You have the best Mac ever - that's pretty cool. But you will save a lot of money if you go down to the dual 1.8, assuming you can do that with no restocking fee.

If I were in your same position, I'd probably downgrade and use the money I'd save to BTO a Radeon 9800 video card. Power like that deserves an awesome video card. The FX 5200 is pretty bad and the Radeon 9600 is okay but not awesome like the 9800. Depends on what you'll be using it for though.

I did buy it with a pro card so they should let me do it. It would save me 400 bucks by my calculation since it was a edu purchase. Also some bucks on the tax...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Personally, if you didn't get it with the 9800 vid card, I'd do as another said and try and return/upgrade to the 9800. I'd definitely use the extra graphics power.

If you aren't doing hard-core graphics, I'd take the $400 and get an iPod. Gawd I want an iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    for sure, return your dual 2Ghz and get the 1.8, i dont think you'll see that big of difference in speed, if even at all. plus, as you mentioned it's a better deal, and you'll save a couple hundred bucks.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Apple retail stores don't do BTO. which sucks by the way.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    RETURN IT !!!!!!!

In January they will be coming out with 2.2-2.8 GHz G5... you 1.8 or 2.0 system will be soo slow in 2 months that you'll wish you'll have waited!!!

Besides they'll be build on a thinner 90nm process so they'll run cooler and use less energy! So you'll save a few dimes on electricity.

RETURN IT, why you have the CHANCE !!!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Well, doctor, there's always the off chance that he actually has something to DO on the computer, in which case waiting another 2-3 months for a faster, shipping computer might not be a possiblity.

Other than the content, nice post!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Other than the content, nice post!

• Reply 11 of 14
    Call them up and talk to them.

1-800-my-apple

I traded an iBook for a Dual G4 a while back, because the speed was inadequate.

Well, i recant, as there was a price change...but that change isn't with your unit, so you might have a chance.

Tell them that you don't need all that speed, and you were looking for something different, something less.

-walloo.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    return it and use the cash back to max out the RAM in the 1.8

more RAM in a slightly slower clocked machine should net out a performance gain over a faster machine with limited RAM, but it will depend on your usage... if you work on big files the RAM may be more important than an extra couple hundred MHz of chip speed that waits for data or swaps unnecessarily

and the pennies go plink plink
  • Reply 13 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

I traded an iBook for a Dual G4 a while back, because the speed was inadequate.

More like you traded your LAPTOP for a DESKTOP because you chose the wrong type of machine.

"I think I need a portable."

"No, I think I need a powerful desktop with expansion capabilities."

Sorry man, not the same thing. Not in the same ballpark, state, or country.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by sinclairZX81

Apple retail stores don't do BTO. which sucks by the way.

You can, as I did, walk into an Apple Store and request that they order you a CTO (Apple's current term) system. They go to a special URL to access the Apple Store online, and you enter your order on one of their systems. You get the Pro Card and they get credit for your sale.

It still takes a few weeks and it still ships to your home, but you get all the benefits of the Pro Card.

-- Mark