"Keyboard" Bug In Panther...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The same bug happens from time to time on both of my machines, one an Indigo iMac G3, the other a G4 iMac 15".

Sometimes the OS recognises some keys to be depressed, and when I go to type something, my screen flashes, and the computer beeps like crazy at every key press. I noticed that the OS usually thinks the 'control' key is depressed in these cases, and to stop the bug, I simply have to press the control key on the keyboard, and all is normal again.

I know it's not the keybaord, as this happens on different model computers, (and keyboards, too), and never happened in any earlier Mac OS X versions.

What the hell is going on here? Why are new bugs being introduced ? this isn't Windows? m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you have the feedback with sound/flash enabled. odds are some program is selected that whatever key you're pressing is an invalid key for that program.

i've seen that happen a few times in that instance.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

you have the feedback with sound/flash enabled.

Yes I do.

Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

odds are some program is selected that whatever key you're pressing is an invalid key for that program.

i've seen that happen a few times in that instance.

It's not that. It's happened in different apps across the board, and randomly it seems. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does it is very annoying. m.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    This used to happen with the option key after awaking my dual 450 from sleep. It wasn't the USB ports, the keyboard, and no hacks have ever been installed. Then one day... poof. Everything was better. ?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    It's "Sticky Keys". It is a feature of the Universal Access system preference. It is designed for people that have poor motor skills or only one hand. You can turn it off by going to the Preference pane, it's under "Keyboard". This can be turned on by holding down on one key, usually a modifier key like option or shift. Once it's turned off you should be back in business.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

It's "Sticky Keys".

No it's not.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

No it's not.

Then what is it? Some random bug or a symptom that sounds identical to a feature that is in place?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    If no one else has had it happen I'm going to guess it's not a bug but rather a problem specific to an app on your computer.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Then what is it? Some random bug or a symptom that sounds identical to a feature that is in place?

It's definitely not Sticky Keys. I don't use any of the Universal Access tools.

And I also don't touch hacks etc. because I prefer to keep my system squeeky clean.

Hopefully it's fixed in 10.3.2. m.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    You might not use sticky keys, but is the 'Turn sticky keys on/off by pressing the shift key five times' option on. I've had that happen before, you accidentally turn it on with out knowing it. But sticky keys usually puts the modifier key bezel thing up right? So you'd probably know if that was the case.