Favorite domestic beer?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
there are just so many to choose from...

i'm somewhat partial to shiner right now...but maybe that's cause it's so readily available here in texas...

well...? what's yours?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    linenkugel - big butt

only available in spring
  • Reply 2 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Are you defining 'domestic' to be 'anything brewed on your home soil' or the usual American definition of 'that pisswater swill that was all we could get before microbrews popped up and made things bearable again'?

Remember, you don't buy a Bud, you just rent it.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Are you defining 'domestic' to be 'anything brewed on your home soil' or the usual American definition of 'that pisswater swill that was all we could get before microbrews popped up and made things bearable again'?

Remember, you don't buy a Bud, you just rent it.

the latter. and dont say bud...i hate that shit--almost as bad as keystone.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Well in that case, either good ol' PBR or Oly.

Hey, if you're gonna slum, do it as cheaply as you can.

(Although I admit nostalgic fondness for Lucky Lager and Rrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaainnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeii iirrrrrrrrrrr Beeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....)
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Oly.

Hey, if you're gonna slum, do it as cheaply as you can.

Oly= Olympia Gold?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    funny thing is big butt is available here year-round.

i have two cases in the fridge now, although not sure it's my fav. american beer.

New Glarus makes some GREAT beers. 'course can't get them outside of Madison.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

funny thing is big butt is available here year-round.

i have two cases in the fridge now, although not sure it's my fav. american beer.

New Glarus makes some GREAT beers. 'course can't get them outside of Madison.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php

?????not according to them

not when i lived in milwaukee, come april we were scrapin' around looking for the last cases.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    check out the Beershots Gallery. best experienced with chilled sample

Quote:

Welcome to the Molecular Expressions BeerShots website featuring digital images and photomicrographs (photographs taken through an optical microscope) of the World's most famous beers. We have arranged the beer images by country.

microphoto shot of a quality quebecois microbrew

as for the aforementioned and much slagged Bud ,

it just doesn't have the 70's "Isaac from Love Boat" vibe of bud light
  • Reply 9 of 21
    hmm, weird. we still have it on tap at local bars, and every liquor store i've gone to in the last month has had plenty. and it's well past spring.

i know summit has their octoberfest beer which is only available in the US in the fall. except for chicago, who get it year round, the bastards.

the brewery is right here and we don't even get their octoberfest beers.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    it's november through march,

i said spring because that's when it became scarce. you'd go into pik n' save or the piggly wiggly and move around the cases hoping to find that one case that got stuck behind another brand.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    i had it on tap in the summer too though, at a local BW3's. they go through a LOT of beer. i'll keep an eye out though, see if it dries up.

i'll just have to keep buying it i guess.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Domestic and local: Anchor Steam and Anchor Liberty Ale
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Rogue (Shakespeare Stout is my favorite), Pete's Wicked Ale, and whenever I'm in Pittsburgh, Penn Pilsner.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I actually like Bud (regular, not lite) and for $12 a case of longnecks you can't go wrong.

But my favorite American beer is the pilsner made by DeGroens

As may be evident I like kraut beer.

I would like to try all of their brews, but even in DC they're hard to find.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Well heck, since people are actually mentioning any ol beer made at home, I'll go for Rogue Dead Guy Ale. (Or 'the colon destroyer' as my brother calls it - half a bottle, his digestive system is toast for two days...)

Big Time Brewery makes a great ESB, and Pike Place Kilt Lifter Ale is a favorite.

Yeah, I'm a hophead.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Cooper's Sparkling Ale. Has lots of fermented sediment in the bottom of each bottle. It's creamy like you wouldn't believe. But I guess you'll never get to taste it unless you come to South Australia...

"Heave away,you rolling King,Heave away,Haul away.

Heave away, you hear me sing.. We're bound for South Australia "

8)
  • Reply 17 of 21
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
  • Reply 18 of 21
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Tiger Beer!
  • Reply 19 of 21
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

check out the Beershots Gallery. best experienced with chilled sample

[...]

microphoto shot of a quality quebecois microbrew

[...]

I quite like the beershots. So pointedly pointless that it works.

More to the point, however, I can vouch for the quality of Quebec's microbrews. For long while, these were not easily available in Ontario - protectionism between Canadian provinces, if you can believe that - although, in Ottawa, admittedly, I could just drive across the river to pick them up. Now they can be found in our local store.

At lunch today, one of my colleagues who lived in Belgium until a few months ago said that one of the Belgian beers had been voted world's best a few years in a row. I can't remember the name, however.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1seaside1

Rogue (Shakespeare Stout is my favorite), Pete's Wicked Ale, and whenever I'm in Pittsburgh, Penn Pilsner.

Great Beers, especially the Shakespeare Stout. And from my area Yuengling Lager. Good Stuff, although I have the Dogfish brewery not far away, and the Independance Brewery close too.

Ahhh... Hop Devil beer....