Oldest Computer Here on AI

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, I want to know who has an old, and in fact, the oldest Apple computer here on AI. Rule: it has to be a working computer and you have to be able to actually to log onto and post on AI with the computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    probably Fran with his Newton.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Interesting link to the undying Newton, but I would have thought that we would have something a bit older online here.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I'll see if I can get my Woz Mac 128 on here...

Although I think my //GS is probably easier to do so with... heh.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The oldest one I've used to log in and post on AI was my brother's Quadra 950. It's a monstrous tower, actually somewhat reminiscient of the G5 towers in layout and size. It has a 33 MHz 68040 processor, some 88 MB of RAM in 16 RAM slots (possibly more, I haven't been keeping track recently), a CD-ROM drive, OS 8, an enormous 303 watt power supply that weighs probably 15 or 20 lbs and takes up a fourth of the inside of the case, and it cost over $10,000 when new. I posted using iCab, one of the few 68k-compatible browsers that works with AppleInsider (older ones don't like weird code like PHP).

Since this machine is from May of 1992, and since no one else has actually officially submitted one, I believe I am in the lead

Actually, I've also posted with an LC III+, released October 1993. Although this machine is newer than the Quadra 950, it also uses the even older 68030 processor, and it only had one RAM slot with a total complement of 20 MB of RAM, so posting from that thing is more of an accomplishment than posting from the Quadra 950.

The oldest computer my brother or I owns is an SE, from 1987. It's older than my brother in fact. But I've never managed to get those on the internet (although I have gotten them to access our home network through the Quadra 950 using LocalTalk Bridge). LocalTalk is interesting... it's like a home network, but at speeds similar to a 56k modem. Not a problem if you're transferring text files but ethernet is WAY better.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Looks like Luca is winning so far. Maybe I should offer an unofficial Chinney-designed AI OLDEST COMPUTER t-shirt to the winner.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Mac LC.

However I am posting from my PC under linux right now... Give me a sec to boot the old girl up.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I got an ethernet card for an SE a while back - now I just have to figure out how to install it. From looking at it, and from working inside an SE before, it looks like the only way to get it to work would be to have the ethernet cable running through a hole in the back of the computer and going inside. But if I can get it working, and if I can get it using a browser that works on 68000 Macs, I might just be able to post from a 1987 SE. Hopefully I can at least take a picture of the SE viewing AI. Unfortunately, I can't post from WannaBe (it's text-only), and I'm guessing MacWeb won't like AI either.

The LC, though - that's the current winner. Congrats \\/\\/ickes!

Oh yeah, just thought of something - I was at a friend's house the other day and I saw an old Mac II they had in a closet. That uses the same processor as the LC, a 16 MHz 68020, but it was released in 1987, at the same time as the SE. Maybe I can get a NuBus ethernet card and hook that baby up...
  • Reply 8 of 20
    but for the technicalities, I've got a buddy with a NeXT who might be competitive

but of course, he isn't really a big "posting to BB" kind of guy
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Ok I need a browser for the LC to post from it... that's right I am not the winner yet Luca Rescigno.

Luca Rescigno, do you have a link to where I can download iCab?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    www.icab.de

It's the most universally compatible browser I know. Works with 68ks, PPCs, and in system 7, OS 8, OS 9, and OS X - natively in all, too. A REAL customizable toolbar, location bar in the main toolbar, google search in the toolbar, and tabbed browsing, all on a 68k machine are possible with iCab. It's not a great browser in OS X, and it's pretty slow on older machines, but it's still pretty good. Since it's still being developed (only 68k-compatible browser still being developed AFAIK), it should work with most websites. I don't think it'll work on a 68000 though, which leads me to believe that a Macintosh II is the earliest Mac that can post to AI. Now I just have to get that thing from my friend and get a NuBus ethernet card for it
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

but for the technicalities, I've got a buddy with a NeXT who might be competitive

but of course, he isn't really a big "posting to BB" kind of guy

If you read the first post...

Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

OK, I want to know who has an old, and in fact, the oldest Apple computer here on AI. Rule: it has to be a working computer and you have to be able to actually to log onto and post on AI with the computer.

...you will note this is an oldest apple computer (pissing) contest. So the NeXT box, however cool, was built by NeXT not Apple. Yes, we all know Apple bought next but that does not make the NeXT box Apple branded.

Just wondering... which NeXT box does he have?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

www.icab.de

[snip-snip]

Thanks a bunch...

I will be back with a post from the LC soon... hopfully.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    UPDATE...

My LC still works... and I am able to connect to the net with it... and I am able to post on AI with it... but my DB-25 to VGA converter is shot. So I will not be able to post what I can not see. Serves me right for flipping the converters switches with a magnetic screwdriver. D'OH!

Anyway I my not win the contest with my LC but what about a LC 520? Is the LC 520 older than Luca Rescigno's brother's Quadra 950?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

UPDATE...

My LC still works... and I am able to connect to the net with it... and I am able to post on AI with it... but my DB-25 to VGA converter is shot. So I will not be able to post what I can not see. Serves me right for flipping the converters switches with a magnetic screwdriver. D'OH!

Anyway I my not win the contest with my LC but what about a LC 520? Is the LC 520 older than Luca Rescigno's brother's Quadra 950?

sorry, the quadra wins by a year
  • Reply 15 of 20
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    hm, If I had joined Appleinsider when I started *reading* appleinsider (only last year, or maybe 2001) I would have posted from a Quadra 605.. not sure of the date on that one.

But I didn't.

So I'm a loser.

• Reply 16 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I could probably connect my IIc to my current PC or Mac via serial and run lynx off the host...
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Some interesting posts here. I like the fact that people still keep some old working computers around.

As for the contest, I think that Luca is still the winner, so far. (Luca, does your brother still have that Quadra? - can you still post from it?)

It seems that \\/\\/ickes would have won, but for a sad technical problem.

Eugene's proposal was worded in the hypothetical ("could probably"), so I guess it would not quite count yet. And if he were to do it, would it still technically count if he routed the IIc through another computer, as suggested? I would have to consult the expertise of others here on AI to know if it counts. Would the other computer just be being used essentially as a modem? If so, I don't think that this would be a problem.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfryer

hm, If I had joined Appleinsider when I started *reading* appleinsider (only last year, or maybe 2001) I would have posted from a Quadra 605.. not sure of the date on that one.

[...]

All the dates can be found here.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Eugene's proposal was worded in the hypothetical ("could probably"), so I guess it would not quite count yet. And if he were to do it, would it still technically count if he routed the IIc through another computer, as suggested? I would have to consult the expertise of others here on AI to know if it counts. Would the other computer just be being used essentially as a modem? If so, I don't think that this would be a problem.

The modern computer wouldn't be a modem. It'd be more like a proxy, but not really...The IIc would be more like a peripheral in this case since Lynx would actually be running off the host PC.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The modern computer wouldn't be a modem. It'd be more like a proxy, but not really...The IIc would be more like a peripheral in this case since Lynx would actually be running off the host PC.

Subject to what others here on AI might say, I would think that this would not count then.