Lookin for a little webspace to call my own.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need some webspace that supports direct linking. I am poor so it's got to be free. 5 or 10 megs should do me just fine. Anybody know of anything that fits the bill?

thanks ahead of time,

Mark (Guartho)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    okay, dumb question but what do you mean by "direct linking"?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Meaning I can host an avatar for a message board or post images here at AI that are hosted there.

Also, I need to add that it'd be best if uploads were browser based as I think my University blocks external FTP.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Meaning I can host an avatar for a message board or post images here at AI that are hosted there.

Also, I need to add that it'd be best if uploads were browser based as I think my University blocks external FTP.

well, i think almost all web servers would allow you to direct link like that, BUT what you have to watch out for is the bandwidth issue. consider that every page view by someone on a page that has an image hosted from your site gets transferred from your site. if, say, AppleInsider allowed avatars, and you posted frequently in popular threads, you'll quickly have an insane number of image loads without your knowledge or control.

also, if someone likes your image/avatar/whatever, and decides to hijack it from your site by linking to it as well, you'll soon see an exponential increase in your website traffic if you accidentally make anything too popular.

i don't know of any free hosts that also give unlimited transfers. maybe geocities or angelfire? i know angelfire used to have a web-based upload area. it was hoem to my first ever, TERRIBLE website back in '97.

personally, i like doteasy. they offer free bannerless web hosting -- tough to beat that deal -- but their only drawback is the 1 GB transfer per month, for their ultra hosting package. but they also offer free web mail (limited space, and a doteasy add tacked onto the bottom of the email sent from the account), and they've only been down once in my three year tenure with them, and they warned of the downtime to do upgrades.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Geocities does external hosting, but the bandwidth allotment sucks. Very small and you'll run out rather quickly. They also have a web based upload.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    http://www.hostultra.com

Unlimited Bandwidth

Unlimited Webspace

Domain Hosting

PHP, FTP

EDIT: Not sure if thiey allow offsite linking though. \
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Testing to see if www.hostultra.com does external hosting.

Test

It works for external hosting. Sweet, now I won't have to worry about crappy bandwidth anymore!