GIU Front-end for Terminal?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know of a GUI front-end for Terminal? What I want is a front-end that allows better much window-size, font and color management.

I?ve tried Terminal?s options, and they are not what I want. If I?m going to spend time in Terminal, I want something that?s a lot easier on the eyes. I?ve searched in Mac programs and come up dry so far.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you on 10.3?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    From Terminal in 10.3:

Is this not what you're looking for?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Yes, on 10.3.1. Thanks for the images, but I've seen that and monkeyed around with it with unsatisfactory results.

This reminds me of the old ANSI terminals for BBS sessions in the mid-eighties. Surely on a Mac with millions of colors and a gazillion fonts, there is something better than the defaults in Terminal? Say it ain't so.

Perhaps what I want to do is impossible. I'd like to get a display in terminal that would allow non-fixed width fonts to display properly, more like a word processor. And to be able to minutely adjust colors for text, background, highlight, etc. The latter looks doable with the color wheels in the default adjustments, but the fonts are unreadable unless they are fixed width, which narrows the field considerably. Hope this makes sense.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    the problem is much of what goes on in the terminal (display wise) is based off of an almost spreadsheet like output. unless you're using fixed width fonts, those become unusable.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I was afraid of something like that. Sizing the window stretches the fonts and makes them unreadable and butt-ugly. I'll play around with the defaults and iTerm and see what I can come up with.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    well, you know you can pick any font and any size you want, right?

as well as any color for the text or the background?

i guess i'm not sure what exactly else you might try to do.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    What really helps for me is the anti-aliased text. Even though it's fixed width, it looks much nicer.

I also use a lot of color, slight transparency and other fun options.

Here's what it looks like... I enjoy it.

• Reply 8 of 9
    The problem is that only fixed-width fonts display properly. Helvetica, for example, is fit into fixed width spacing. It looks bad. Same with any proportional font. Color can be adjusted, so it's fooling around with it until I get something I like. Looks like a built-in limitation.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    That example is not bad at all. Closer to what I was thinking of.