Setting up Mac as a Print Server

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just currious if this idea I have is possible and if I need some type of special software to do it.

I currently have a dual 500 G4 and a dual 2GB G5 along with a couple pc's running xp pro.

What I wanted to do was set up the G4 as a print server, or even have it control most of the peripherals, like the printer and scanner.

Is it possible to have the G4 act as a print server where I can just send the files to it from my pc or mac and let the G4 take on the task of printing it? What I mean is having all the data sent to the G4 that way its not on the machine im working on anymore and that can allow my work machine that im using at that time to have its full resources as the G4 is off on its own taking care of the printing.

thanks

dave

PS I also have a wireless G network setup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    System Preferences -> Sharing pane. Check the box that says "printer sharing"
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

System Preferences -> Sharing pane. Check the box that says "printer sharing"

OK, if I do that, I take it my windows machine will see it also then? Do you know if that makes the print que go to the mac that has printer sharing on?

Is there a way to share any other peripherals at all, like a scanner?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by dage007

OK, if I do that, I take it my windows machine will see it also then? Do you know if that makes the print que go to the mac that has printer sharing on?

Is there a way to share any other peripherals at all, like a scanner?

I haven't tried the printer sharing myself, but I'd imagine that the windows computers will see them. And the print queue will be on the mac sharing the printer.

For other peripherals, I *believe* you can share them using Image Capture if you're using Panther (OS X 10.3). Open the Image Capture application and under the preferences, there's a tab called "sharing". If Image Capture can see your peripherals, you can share them. But I think that the sharing will work only with other macs running 10.3 (I'm not sure about this, but I don't know how it would work otherwise).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    boy that seems pretty cool never even knew about this wow...

cant wait to try it out adn see if my pc can also connect to them. It seems to give an ip or somekind of id to each device. So i assume seeing how i can see the mac with the pc and all its files, I might be able to see the scanner. Im gonna hook up all the cams and stuff to the mac also, might as well have all the devices to one machine and let that do the work, instead of just sitting there as a back up machine

thanks ill keep you posted.

dave