Apple and RIAA, an interesting perspective.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Downhillbattle.org

I don't know if this has been posted yet. I thought I'd throw this out on the porch and see if the cat licks it up.

I've yet to use ITMS, but I do feel that it is better than being raped for $16-22 for a CD.

I am vehemently opposed to RIAA's policies towards consumers and artists and support anything that puts less money in RIAA's hands and more for the artists. That is why I usually purchase used CDs and independent music, unless it is something that I have to special order.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I read this a while ago it really bugged me (I believe they also have a near identical site for Napster).

Quote:

So why does iTunes give artists such a raw deal? Because it's the exact same deal that artists have always gotten from the big five record companies.

That's the their whole argument right there, and it stinks. Apple has to renegotiate artists' contracts for them because they're 'not fair'.

Life isn't fair, but it's a lot less fair for the people who *never* make it in the business because the RIAA has a stranglehold on distribution than it is for the (multi-)millionaires getting rich off of selling their music on iTunes.

The fact that they claim Apple is raking in the big bucks for doing very little, when Apple aren't even making a profit shows how little clue these guys have.

I also feel that they may just be trolling to advertise this weedshare system.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    they just need to start getting more artists on lables like CD baby.

it'll happen, just give it some time. market forces are too strong hold back forever.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Cry me a river. Apple isn't making any money off of this. And no one ever said that just because people will now pay for downloads that artists will see any more money. I understand that not every artist makes millions off of their CDs, especially the independent ones, but a good majority...the ones that are serious, are making plenty of money. It's funny how these people are advocating stealing the music from Poisoned or Acquisition, when their chief argument is that the artists aren't seeing more than $.11 from the iTMS. $.11 isn't a lot of money, but at least it's more than they get if people steal the music.