Sound recording software suggestions

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
OK, I know there are a bunch of people who frequent this forum that know a bit about audio on the Mac.

Can anyone give some suggestions for reasonably priced software that gives you recording and editing capability.

My son is into music and has asked for stuff like a 4 track recorder, but I'm thinking he could get better quality and be more flexible by using his Mac as a virtual recording studio.

I don't profess to know much about audio, so any any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I use Sound Studio to record outside sounds (through an iMic) (and AudioHijack for internet audio). My recording needs are very modest though, and although Sound Studio is the heir apparent of the venerable SoundEdit Pro (Macromedia), it offers only 2 track recording. In a spring issue of MacFan (a Dutch mac magazine), Cacophony gets a quite nice review, and is the only one of the reviewed that can deal with multiple tracks (they claim 16!). They checked out a heap of audio programs that can do several things.

If your son is some kind of prodigy though, you may want to look at more advanced recording and editing software, such as Peak or Spark. I'm not into those high-class apps though, so I can't really tell you much about them.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

OK, I know there are a bunch of people who frequent this forum that know a bit about audio on the Mac.

Can anyone give some suggestions for reasonably priced software that gives you recording and editing capability.

My son is into music and has asked for stuff like a 4 track recorder, but I'm thinking he could get better quality and be more flexible by using his Mac as a virtual recording studio.

I don't profess to know much about audio, so any any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Try Deck LE 3.5, this should be a good program to start learning quickly and it's pretty cheap...

http://audiomidi.com/common/cfm/prod...Product_ID=578

A hard part might be your son connecting audio(more than a single live track) to his Mac, what instruments does he play?(you might need to invest in a USB multi line in)

oh, and some external hard drives might be needed!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I haven't had much experience with Sound Studio, and I don't yet have my I/O box to actually get some use out of it. I've only used it with the built-in mic on my PB, and to cut up a few previously recorded continuous tracks. I plan on getting an M?Audio MobilePre. It's a USB powered audio I/O. It has 2 microphone inputs, 2 line (guitar) inputs, which if he wants 4 tracks, this could be good enough, though he might need an extra cord, if he has 3 guitars. M?Audio lists it as $179.95, though i've seen it at $150, maybe less. There are better models with more controls on board and more I/O but they get up into $400-500 for USB models.

Maybe I'll post later on some specs to look at. The only one to come to mind is Sampling rate. The MobliePre can go up to 48KHz, which is better than CD if I remember, but not production, which is 96Khz and industry standard for digital audio. Which is where you might get into $400-500.

EDIT: Post back with what he does, and maybe price range. Someone can post back an I/O. Emagic, now Apple owned, also has boxes, and they for certain work with Logic and Soundtrack if he ever gets to that point.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    resres Posts: 711member
    The big three in multitrack audio recording on the mac are: Digidesign's Protools, emagic's Logic, and Mark of the Unicorn's Digital performer.

There are all great programs. the problem is that are a bit pricey.

A good place to garner more information on this subject would be the forums over at OS X Audio and MacMusic
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Thank you for all of the suggestions so far.

My son is in a few bands and would like to record their original music.

He plays drums, keyboards and guitar.

I have a midi drum controller and a midi keyboard that he can use as well, but would a midi to USB cable be OK or would it be better to get a midi card for the Mac.

Yeah, I know about Protools and Motu, but like you said, they're a bit pricey.

If he was making a living at this then I'd say it may be justified. Plus, then I would just let him buy it.

He's asked for a 4 track recorder for Christmas, but I figured that he would get MUCH better results recording on his Mac.

Thanks again for the info, and keep the suggestions coming.

I will check out those other websites as well.

• Reply 6 of 8
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

I have a midi drum controller and a midi keyboard that he can use as well, but would a midi to USB cable be OK or would it be better to get a midi card for the Mac.

If he was making a living at this then I'd say it may be justified. Plus, then I would just let him buy it.

He's asked for a 4 track recorder for Christmas, but I figured that he would get MUCH better results recording on his Mac.

Maybe a digital four track or a combo digtal recorder/mixer?

There is ProTools free that you can download, but it only works on OS9. Maybe he can play around with it and see if he is in to digital audio editing/recording without investing money yet.

If he gets in to it and wants to really learn more, I suggest Digital perfomer because it will work with so many different hardware solutions big or small. ProTools is an industry standard, but you are limited to using mostly digidesign hardware which is way overpriced.

Edit: poor cutting and pasting...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

i'm thinking your son would be better off w/ a digital 4 track like this fostex:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...t/doc_id=90893

i don't think he'd get MUCH better results on the Mac when he mostly plays live instruments w/ other people(recording quality depending on the mics used, which can become very expensive)...sounds like he wants to spend time recording jams with different people not manipulating audio in front of a computer...(you'd have to get a multi input which would be a big expense)

a digital 4 track would be alot better starting point, he can take it anywhere and record...

and if you want to manipulate the tracks better on the Mac, a cheap program like Bias Deck 3.5 LE can finish the tracks he's transferred from the 4 track:

$299 4 track

$79 Deck 3.5 LE

also, a USB/midi cable would be better so he can use it on other computers...

hope this helps...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    For a software solution, I'd strongly recommend Logic Big Box. This includes Logic Audio, a sample player, a synth, an electric piano and sounds. In the UK, it's £175 which is a bargain. If this proves to be your choice, make sure the dealer supplies Logic 6 not 5. www.emagic.de

Recording at 48KHz can cause problems. 24bit/44.1KHz will get excellent results.

To record multiple live sources, the problem is indeed getting sound into the mac. Things can start to get expensive when you want, say, 8 or more live inputs which requires more expensive sound cards (firewire or PCI).

However, some of the portables can only do 2-4 sources at once (though they are of course .. er portable).