My vacuming duties are over!! Finally!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You can't know how happy I am that my wife and I are moving into an apartment with a dish washer. I run it 1/3 full just for the delight of it.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    How do you stumble across this stuff?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    don't knock the roomba. that thing RULES.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    They had a segment on TechTV about the Roomba and it sucked - and not in a good way!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Not knocking it - just amazed at how you people discover these devices exist in the first place!

(Unless, of course, you saw it advertised on TV in the first place. )
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

They had a segment on TechTV about the Roomba and it sucked - and not in a good way!

ahh - I see, TechTV! (only in America eh?)
  • Reply 7 of 13
    OK i started reading more about, googled for reviews and i have yet to see a negative one...

Anyways, if you think this is cool, check THIS out....

link

You can control it over the internet... and even use it as mobile web-cam

Quote:

The built-in rechargeable battery provides sufficient power to operate the cleaner for 50 minutes. When the power is about to be drained, the cleaner automatically docks itself to the charger.

• Reply 8 of 13
    Just browsed through TechTV's review, and it does not say it's bad, in fact it says it's pretty good, and since i don't have any thick carpets mostly laminate floor i'm soooo getting one.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Yeah, the review is favorable, but they had a seqment with Becky Worley where she hired a maid to clean her apartment, but she asked the maid to use the Roomba instead of using a traditional vacuum herself.

They showed the little Roomba skittering across the floor while the maid watched TV and ate munchies.

In that video, the Roomba didn't pick up things it rolled directly over and it frequently got stuck on/against furniture.

In the end, the maid gave it a thumbs down because you had to move furniture around to create an open space lest the Roomba get confused, make the Roomba go over spots multipule times and eventually she found that it would be about four times faster just to do it the old-fashioned way.

And sorry about that link, I assumed it was the same story as the one I saw, but it looks like that review was completely independant of the segment that I saw.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I thought I saw something a year or two ago on slashdot about one of these used to make a robot.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i'm sure it would be faster to do it by hand. but then what's the point of having a robot do it?

cleaning my pool is faster by hand, but i'd rather have a little scooter tool around and vacuum it for me a bit at a time. sure it blows right by debris that i would have gotten, but it'll run all day.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Pools are completely different - big open spaces.

That's why the Roomba failed.

Do you want to move all of your furniture in the morning, let the Roomba do it's thing and come home from work/school only to find it hung up on something.

Good idea, but poor execution.

It needs to evolve into something smarter and therefore more useful IMO.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Isn't roomba a cheap version of a robot vac that actually works, but costs about 3 grand?