AIDS & Religion...finally one gets it right

brbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

"At first people were worried that it was inappropriate," says the saffron clad monk, "for a Buddhist cleric to work with condoms and things, but now people realise that I'm practising Buddhist compassion and helping people avoid painful, humiliating illness."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3290825.stm

I'm pretty sure most of you know my disdain for religion but I will be fair and commend practitioners of certain religions who in my opinion get things right.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    A lot of people think Buddhists are all vegetarians, but it's not true. In the mountains in Tibet they have to eat meat because they can't grow crops year round.

Anyway, a lot of people get the wrong idea about what Buddhists can and can't do, like this example with the condoms. It's the right thing to do given the circumstances so they do it. Congrats to them for being able to adapt.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    hey .. buddhism isn't a religion but philosophy. so yes i would have answered in the past (sometimes) it being (one of) the reason(s) for not eating meat. .. so they have to think themselves what is right and what is not, and not just take the already chewn answers to what's right and what's not from the priests etc.

besides .. 99 % of italians are catholic. and italy has the lowest birth rates in the world (2nd after vatican). do you think it's because they do what the pope says (in the context of sex)?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

But with HIV/Aids set to become South Asia's biggest public health challenge very soon, it's clear that the men and women who serve God have decided they have a role to play in helping the present and future victims of a dreaded epidemic.

You can almost hear the Pope choking on his last breath...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    xenuxenu Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

You can almost hear the Pope choking on his last breath...

If only.