Home and End keys letter sent to Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    I've used unix, and more recently, linux for years. As far as I've known, "home" and "end" work in linux as they do in OS X.

Unless you're using emacs, then you have the whole esc-X thing going.

In fact, I just realized I'm posting this from a linux box. I'm back to OSX 95% of the time because I can use all the unix/linux programs I want, but I have stability in the "everyday" apps. Being able to configure everything is nice. For a while. When you decide it's time to get work done, that gets old.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnpg

I have to agree with the Home/End issue. I realize that the Mac way has been around a long time, but this is a major, major annoyance for longtime Windows users. I know, because it drove me crazy when I switched two years ago. I have since learned the "Mac way" and I'm fine with it, but my Wife who switched more recently complains about this a lot, as do others who have switched.

Going to the top and bottom of a document just isn't as common a practice as going to the beginning or end of a line. It makes sense to have HOME/END act like they do on Windows and other OS's. I'm aware DoubleCommand can fix this (does it work in Panther yet?) but would rather not have to run a kernel extension and risk stability problems (particularly with upgrades).

The other thing that bothers me are the differences in Cocoa and Carbon apps in regards to many of these conventions. I use the EMACS conventions instead of HOME/END but they don't always work in Carbon apps. Apple needs to work on these sorts of consistency issues, I think.

John

I've been a Mac user since 1990 - and I STILL prefer the Windows way...and on Windows it works that way EVERYWHERE. Under OS 7,8,9, it was very dependable (but wrong). Under OS X, its very different depending what app I'm using and very annoying.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akac

I've been a Mac user since 1990 - and I STILL prefer the Windows way...and on Windows it works that way EVERYWHERE.

Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Hold on a minute, what the hell happens in Windows browsers when you hit Home?