DVD Rip, easiest and fastest way?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey, what's the easiest and fastest way to rip dvds?

I tried iRipDVD but it took about 24 hours on my ibook g4.

btw, this is not illegal because once I buy the dvd, I can do anything with it. I want to put them on my computer so don't have to bring the dvds.

Steve.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    www.dvd2one.com

Post a review after you try it. It's the bomb.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    It seems like it cannot decrypt encrypted media, and it seems like all of my dvds are encrypted, so it's useless.

Besides, I wanted something that could make it into a DivX file.

any other alternatives?

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Well, theres handbrake which will rip an encrpted dvd, or you can use dvdbackup to decode the dvd which will give you an uncompress 7gig video_ts folder which you can then encode with divx or DVDibbler which does the same as handbrake and gives really good results, for instance i got a dvd down to 676mb with perfect audio sync. You can find these on versiontracker
  • Reply 4 of 35
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I used DVD backup. Works on most DVD's.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Well, theres handbrake which will rip an encrpted dvd, or you can use dvdbackup to decode the dvd which will give you an uncompress 7gig video_ts folder which you can then encode with divx or DVDibbler which does the same as handbrake and gives really good results, for instance i got a dvd down to 676mb with perfect audio sync. You can find these on versiontracker

How long will it take?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    A direct rip from the disc takes me about 3 hours on me dual. Though if i use DVDbackup to decrypt the disc first, this takes me about 10 mins, and then encrypt with ffmpegx about 1h 30 mins.

Though DVDibbler does give me better results with audio sync and a slightly smaller file size and a lot easier to use so i dont care about the extra time.

edit: You may need the 3ivx codec installed for divx in quicktime. If your having problems with audio sync after your compression you can get divx doctor from the 3ivx site which will correctly sync the audio in .AVI generated files, but will enalarge the overall file size to about a gig.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    HandBrake is ridiculously easy, but it produces nonstandard files. If you want standard MP4 files you'll need OpenShiiva.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    1)Rip with DVDBackup

2)Run DVD2One

3)Burn with Toast

That is the absolute fastest method, and the quality beats most other methods too.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Also the most expensive!!

Why would the windows version be ?40 and the OSX version be ?50?
  • Reply 10 of 35
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Also the most expensive!!

Why would the windows version be ?40 and the OSX version be ?50?

Because there is 1/10 of the market for mac if not less. They had to put the time into porting it over just for a small market. Give support and praise where it is deserved.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Burn with toast?

I just want to generate a .avi divx file. I don't want to burn it on cd or anything.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Has anyone tried this:

1. Get Quicktime Pro and the Quicktime mpeg-2 decoder.

2. De-copy-protect a movie with DVDBackup.

3. Open the DVD in Quicktime.

4. Compress and save as mp4 (or any other format supported by Quicktime).

I haven't tried this, but it seems like it should work, as long as you have the mpeg-2 player to open the DVD as well as Quicktime Pro to save and compress the file.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Has anyone tried this:

1. Get Quicktime Pro and the Quicktime mpeg-2 decoder.

2. De-copy-protect a movie with DVDBackup.

3. Open the DVD in Quicktime.

4. Compress and save as mp4 (or any other format supported by Quicktime).

I haven't tried this, but it seems like it should work, as long as you have the mpeg-2 player to open the DVD as well as Quicktime Pro to save and compress the file.

This only works for the video. The quicktime component does'nt support the AC3 audio that is on all encrypted dvd's. Hence the need for divx to convert the sound into MP3.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Ast3r3x that's for folks like us with SuperDrives.

Handbrake looks the best, I'm going to try it today for speed. OpenShiiva sucks because it won't handle DVDs with episodes, like Family Guy, neither will iRipDVD or whatever. Or it won't handle VIDEO_TS folders. I forget which, but they're currently useless until they can do those things.

Ah but I like just wholesale copying with DVD2OneX DVDBackup and Toast. Most compatible, highest quality, and DVD-R is finally coming down in price.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Gong,

Here:

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg722g/dvdriptutorial/

Sorry I was looking for a topic about ripping DVDs and look who it is asking.. ;-) Anyway, the tutorial can be downloaded which is nice.

Keep in touch, huh. Oh and congrats on your new iBook G4, I guess I'm going to have to buy a new laptop now...

Dale

P.S. I also set you an email
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Is there any app that handles DVDs with episodes, like Family guy for example? and uses high quality 2 or 3 pass encoding, using 3ivx 4.5 perhaps? That would make ripping Family Guy, Trek, Simpsons, anything, great.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    1 word:

ffmpegX

I've used it and I think it's the best. You can do all that you want with it.

The interface sux, but hey, it's very fast and quite good.

Steve.

Thanks for the email dale! How are things going?
  • Reply 18 of 35
    The interface isn't so bad, it's just so advanced.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    Try out HandbrakeX... IME, it's the fastest and easiest solution around. AAC and mp4 support is coming too.

handbrake.m0k.org.

AND it has funky useless GL effects
  • Reply 20 of 35
    sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but i'm having problems with handbrake, which i actually downloaded because of this thread in the first place i have ripped about a dozen dvds without problems. these were all movies. now i am trying to rip cartoon episodes. in the interface i select which episode i want to rip, but when i start converting it tells me it will take 8 hours, as if it were a two-hour movie, not a 25-minute episode. furthermore, the rip fails fairly quickly. at 1024kbps i couldn't get more than 80MB out of three tries. this, btw, is smaller than the length of one episodes. any ideas?

thanks.