iMac G4 vs. G5 tower/ACD

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here's the situation: My iMac DV 400 is now in its 5th year. It's done well for me. But it's time for an upgrade, sometime during 2004. Maybe spring, maybe summer. So this would be definitely after MWSF.

This is my home machine. I'm not a pro. Mostly Web, e-mail, word processing (Office X), iTunes, a little dabbling in iMovie and Photoshop Elements.

I'm thinking: 17-inch iMac G4. I like the wide screen. And it has everything I really need. Cost: $1,800.

But part of me lusts after a G5 tower. I don't need a dual, so if I bought now I'd probably get the low-end one, the 1.6 GHz. For a monitor, I'd look at the 20-inch Cinema Display. The 17-inch Studio Display is closer to my needs, but again I really prefer the wide screen and would be willing to pay extra for it. Cost: $1,800 + $1,300 = $3,100.

I'm not short on money right now, so that's not a big issue, but I'm usually not one to throw money away either. So it seems that the iMac would be the smarter buy.

But the advantage of the G5 is that, because of its more advanced specs, it would have a longer useful life before it would become outdated. But is that worth spending $1,300 extra?

Anybody want to talk me into the G5? Any factors I'm overlooking?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    If you don't need the G5, go with the iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

This is my home machine. I'm not a pro. Mostly Web, e-mail, word processing (Office X), iTunes, a little dabbling in iMovie and Photoshop Elements.

This screams "iMac" to me.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Here's a compromise: Buy the iMac, but go with the 20". You'll be very happy. Oh, and don't say I never did anything for ya'.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    He's right, you know. Get the specs proper to what you're doing, BUT treat yourself to that big, gorgeous, honkin' 20" display...best of both worlds!

Only a few hundred more.

If I were in the market for a new desktop, I think that would be the model I'd get: small footprint, all the latest hoo-hah onboard and a GREAT screen.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The i mac is perfect for your needs.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I'd wait for an iMac G5. Then again I'm not sure how much you want or need to get a new mac right now. I'd want as much power as I could get for the money. It would last a lot longer than an iMac G4 and would be able to take advantage of 64-bit computing which will become the new standard in the future. However, if you really need one now, or would like to get one now and get a new one in a couple of years, then go with the iMac G4. I don't believe the current iMac has a very good price/performance ratio either.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    If you're waiting to buy until "sometime" in 2004, I'm afraid any advice you receive today will probably be irrelevant. That said, if you are going to go G5, I'd pick up the low or medium end next generation (maybe to be released in January). If you're concerned about longevity the middle of the road system usually offers the best value (the dual processors are surprisingly addictive), and you won't be getting the hobbled motherboard that you would in the low end (this might change with the next rev though).

If you really love LCD then great, but I'd personally spend a little more on the system and a little less on the monitor... I'd buy the 22" Mitsubishi CRT and spend the money I save on 2 or 3GB of RAM and a better graphics card.

All said, I think I'd wait and buy the middle model G5 of the next rev, with a decent graphics card (will probably still be the Radeon 9600), more RAM and a larger hard disk, and the 22" mitsubishi. This setup will last you quite some time, especially coming from a 400 MHz G3.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    My vote goes to the remaining G4 towers, especially the Dual 1.25. I jumped from a Sawtooth 400/AGP to a Dual 1.25, and it suits my needs perfectly (I run pretty much the same software you do). As has been said here many times, Panther is incredible on an MP machine.

It should at least tide you over until the low end goes MP or the iMac gets a G5.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Here's a compromise: Buy the iMac, but go with the 20". You'll be very happy. Oh, and don't say I never did anything for ya'.

I saw one of the 20-inchers yesterday in the store ... that thing is a beast. Is the display the same one as the 20" Cinema Display? I know the resolution is the same, but I'm not sure whether they're the same "under the hood."
  • Reply 10 of 11
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    Personally I see the iMac's 20" LCD screen wasted... Such a superb and expensive screen fitted to a relatively slow machine... I think the iMac looks great and for what genreal duties it probably works great also. For the same price u could get a G5 with a 19"LCD monitor (probably not Apple brand) and when the G5 gets old and slow, you will be able to use you monitor for your next machine... with the iMac on the otherhand the monitor will be allways stuck to it, held back from doing more usefull things when the time comes...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

But is that worth spending $1,300 extra?

You are spending the $1,300 extra on something you will keep and probably use in your next machine. When the iMac gets slow and old, you will be able to use its screen as a fancy table top which at some point in time was quite expensive...