iTunes, does odd things now.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Whenever I startup iTunes it starts with setup assistant before going into the actual app. Why? I just want iTunes to startup without popups preceding it. Also the Browser on iTunes has set a Genres list that I do not want. I go by Artist and Album. How do I get rid of the Genre column fro the browser?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Preferences -> General -> Show genre when browsing.

The set up assistant shouldn't appear after the first time you open iTunes. It will appear again if you have to delete the preferences or something. Or the permissions on the preference file cold be funny I guess, other than that I can't really think of any one reason for that to happen.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Thank you, found it. I for some reason was blind and did not see that as I was going through the prefs. As for the setup asst., I did a restart and I'm no longer having problems.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    iTunes isn't keeping my music organized!

I have it set to sort by album and there are mp3s just sitting in the main folder. I saw they didn't have an album so I added them, and they still sit there.

And earlier I would changed an mp3 tag and it wouldn't change until I played the file.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    My current peeve with iTunes is that most of the time when iTunes is in the background, if I bring it forward for any reason -- oh, like because I'd like pause the music right away -- iTunes' interface (not the music playing) locks up and won't respond for about 10 seconds.

This gets very annoying after a while. I have to mute my computer when the phone rings, rather than pause my music, because I can't rely on being able to pause fast enough.

I'm hoping that an iTunes 4.1.1 or 4.2, or maybe a fix in Panther 10.3.2, will come along and fix this problem. Soon.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I have to mute my computer when the phone rings, rather than pause my music, because I can't rely on being able to pause fast enough.

You could try right-clicking on the itunes dock icon and pausing from there.

If you have itunes set to just show the buttons and track info (green button) and you can visually see the itunes buttons but are not in itunes you can still click on them without causing a switch to itunes from the app you're in.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

You could try right-clicking on the itunes dock icon and pausing from there.

If you have itunes set to just show the buttons and track info (green button) and you can visually see the itunes buttons but are not in itunes you can still click on them without causing a switch to itunes from the app you're in.

I haven't tried the Dock option, but I do know that even in iTunes' minimized form, trying to click on any of the buttons results in the same ten-second lock up, complete with The Rainbow Vortex of Death.

It would be nice if the Dock trick works (I'm guessing, however, that I'll hit the same delay), but regardless, nothing will substitute for having this very annoying bug fixed.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

nothing will substitute for having this very annoying bug fixed.

You may have something else going on that's not iTunes related. I don't have the bug you describe. iTunes 4.1, 10.3.1
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I'm having the same problem with a couple of seconds of spinning rainbow pizza when I try to bring iTunes forward.

I'm going to try one of the many hot key control apps to see if that will work faster.

My guess was that it may be due to the amount of music I have but then I've only got about 15 Gigs at 128kbps. It's not *that* many files.

I also recently installed Clutter which may have something to do with it. I'll remove it and see.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    How fast are your computers? That could be the difference.

I have 30 gigs of music on mine without a slowdown. Running a Dual 1 GHz.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

You may have something else going on that's not iTunes related. I don't have the bug you describe. iTunes 4.1, 10.3.1

Perhaps, but only iTunes is affected, this problem only started happening with Panther, and I've heard from others with the same symptoms.

As for the amount of music I have and the speed of my system: I've got a fair amount of music, about 17 GB, but I'm running on a dual 2.0 G5 with 2.5 GB RAM and plenty of room to spare on my hard drive, so there's no reason for my system to have any general problems with responsiveness.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    After exporting the iTunes playlists that I wanted to keep to XML files, moving my music files to a safe place, and deauthorizing my computer for iTMS, I trashed my copy of the iTunes application, trashed the iTunes library files in ~/Music/iTunes, and trashed all of the other iTunes-related stuff in ~/Library and ~/Library/Preferences.

I then downloaded iTunes freshly from Apple's web site, re-installed it, re-imported all of my music and playlists (smart playlists had to be set up again), reset all of my preferences as I like... and still, iTunes acts up with the same 10-second freeze-ups I had before when I bring the app from background to foreground.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

still, iTunes acts up with the same 10-second freeze-ups I had before when I bring the app from background to foreground.

You might try having a "top" window open in your terminal when switching and see if there's a cpu spike and what process it's happening with. It could be a conflict caused by something else. Any add-ons, haxies, etc.?