Request: Current G5 can be bought for 1,599$// Change on the next G5

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Current G5 can be bought for 1,599$ !!!!

Did you see if you modify the 1.6GHz model to have a DVD/CD play only drive the cost is 200$ lower!!!

1,799$ just became 1,599$ :-D

*Add a 3rd party external firewire burner later if you really need one *(if you dont alreay have one)

Request: Change on the next G5

List of things I think should be changed on the next G5

A) Have two Drives: Currently its 1 "super drive"-

I say have one DVD/CD 52x Player and one DVD burner

If you spend 1,800$ ++ on a desktop and you want to make a copy of a cd, It's so much faster to have two drives and would cost very little more

The current tower does not even have room for a 2nd drive???? Why lol to make room for the 3,000 fans ???

B)512MB DDR should be standerd on the low end G5. And the Top model should have 1GB. Sorry, but if you "REALLY" need the speed of a G5 you have to be doing something like video work. So why not have 1GB when you shell out 3 Grand to Apple??!!??!

C) The low end G5 should come with a 120GB Hard Drive not 80 and the "best" model should have 200-250GB not 160 (80 & 160GB are yesterdays PC stats)

D-1) No longer have three models ( i.e. "good", "better", best") Current line up: Single 1.6, Dual 1.8, Dual 2GHz

Just have two models Single 1.6 and Dual 2GHz. Until more of the other Macs (iMac, eMac, PowerBook...) have G5 Chips and the production cost to make a G5 chip can be lower. Why have several diffrent chips / modified motherboards in production- for a tower ???

D-2) Fade out of the "dual" idea. Ever stop in think of the cost for the processer alone??? PriceWatch: has the newer 3.0GHz Xeon chip at almost 500$ each. Im sure the G5 2.0GHz cost more to make than the Xeon chip. So you do the math 500$ + 500$ = 1 Grand !!!!! I know the dual feature adds speed, and you can sell the tower when it gets "out dated". -but- Is it REALLY worth the extra 500$??? *Will you see the speed bump on EVERY application ?!?!?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    The PPC 970 2.0 Ghz chip costs less than the Xeon.

All the PPCs cost much less than their Intel competition, but the G5 chip is the most expensive of the lot. Still, since the manufacturing is so much better at IBM than Moto, I bet the PPC 970 2.0's cost less than the Xeons.

Heck, when the G3s could kick Intel's butt, they cost 25% of what a Pentium3 cost at the time.

Even Moto's igorized G4's were not half the cost of P4s, and they were made in Fabrication Hell (motorola's plant).
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Not really anything new... some people made some of the same comments months ago.

As far as Dual processors, the PowerMac G5's target audience is largely creative professionals, and I assume that a good number of those applications are dual processor aware.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is absolutely absurd, Apple ought to be fading out the single processor models in its pro line. It wouldn't hurt if they could come up with a reasonable SMP inplementaiton for their IMac line also. It is better to consider the cost of two seperate computers and the issues of getting them to work together. SMP is one of the smartest investments a computer user can make.

Further what makes you think that a 970 costs anywhere near a Xeon? The 970 is considerablly smaller to begin with and is not being marketed by Intel. While we may never know for sure, it would not be a surprise to find out that the chip is less that half the cost of a Xeon.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

D-2) Fade out of the "dual" idea. Ever stop in think of the cost for the processer alone??? PriceWatch: has the newer 3.0GHz Xeon chip at almost 500$ each. Im sure the G5 2.0GHz cost more to make than the Xeon chip. So you do the math 500$ + 500$ = 1 Grand !!!!! I know the dual feature adds speed, and you can sell the tower when it gets "out dated". -but- Is it REALLY worth the extra 500$??? *Will you see the speed bump on EVERY application ?!?!?!

• Reply 4 of 11
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    Quote:

M.O.S.T. :

Why lol to make room for the 3,000 fans ???

I don't know why I'd laugh out loud in order to make room for 3000 fans. I just don't understand how laughing could expand the case that much.

Lol.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Best thread ever.

LOL
  • Reply 6 of 11
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

This is absolutely absurd, Apple ought to be fading out the single processor models in its pro line. It wouldn't hurt if they could come up with a reasonable SMP inplementaiton for their IMac line also. It is better to consider the cost of two seperate computers and the issues of getting them to work together. SMP is one of the smartest investments a computer user can make.

A) To prove to the PC world they (Apple) can take on any PC (IBM, Dell, Compaq/HP, Gatway etc,...) with a SINGLE chip

B) Lower costs: The "best" G5 model should not be a dime over 2,499$

C)Maybe 14 less fans

Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

Further what makes you think that a 970 costs anywhere near a Xeon? The 970 is considerablly smaller to begin with and is not being marketed by Intel. While we may never know for sure, it would not be a surprise to find out that the chip is less that half the cost of a Xeon.

Dave [/B]

Well maybe I was wrong....

If they were less you would think the G5 tower would not be so much. Even the G4 tower with a price cut is still to expensive. The G4 should be priced around 899 -to- 999$

And the other line of thinking..... more Pentium chips in production-- you would think the cost would be lower....maybe not...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

A) To prove to the PC world they (Apple) can take on any PC (IBM, Dell, Compaq/HP, Gatway etc,...) with a SINGLE chip

B) Lower costs: The "best" G5 model should not be a dime over 2,499$

C)Maybe 14 less fans

A) Apple does already have a single CPU model, and they already "prove that they can "take on any PC with a SINGLE chip". Problem is that it isn't convincingly faster (if faster at all) than the x86 chips.

B) Choice is good. If people want a super-high-end model at high cost, they should be able to get one. The "worst" G5 model should not be a dime over $1599 standard, IMO.

I agree about that the cost of the higher-end models could be lower, but is it all that bad?

C) The fans are there for reducing noise. Would you like to just have a couple of fans, whining at twice (or more) the level of noise of the current G5, or do you want a quiet computer?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    What are you smoking? You even contradict yourself. You say that the G5 is used by people who will be doing stuff like video editing, and therefore they need a no-holds-barred 1 GB of RAM on the high end model(s) and 512 MB on the low end. And yet at the same time you say to get rid of dual processors because people don't need all that speed, and it's not worth it anyway. Hello? You just said earlier that G5 buyers need the power!

I agree with you about the RAM and hard drive space. 80 GB is a bit small, and 256 MB of RAM is pathetic (it's the same amount that ships on the iBook...). I also think the GeForce FX5200 should leave, because it's a sucky card. I'm not sure what to do about the low and middle end, but there should at least be an option for a 256 MB video card, like the Radeon 9800 XT.

Hopefully they bring down the cost on the lowest-end G5 enough to justify removing the PowerMac G4 from the lineup. It'll only be a month or two before the PowerMac G4 is phased out. I'll miss it, but it is time to move on.

The G5 has 9 fans. It's a lot but it's not outlandish. And I don't think the price is bad either - yes, the high end is expensive, but so is a comparable dual Opteron or dual Xeon system. The issue isn't that it should be cheaper, it's that it shoud be competitive. And it already is, so that doesn't need to be changed as long as Apple continues providing updates to their products or price cuts as necessary.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Most absurd thread EVAR!!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I think it's neat that you can get into a G5 for $1599. And this can only get better with the 90nm's coming out.

Apple needs to preserve the single-processor option for more budget-conscious folks, at least until the G5 iMac comes out. (Some folks think that's MWSF too, but some of us think it's going to be more like July, WWDC perhaps).

I wonder if there is room for two quarter-height drives. I also wonder why some enterprising drive manufacturer hasn't come out with a dual-spindle drive. (The optical version of the RX50 - anyone here remember those?)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Guess what! They can't!

You're whole idea is preposterous. First of all, if I want to pay $3000 for a high end box, I'm getting what I'm paying for!

YOU MAKE NO SENSE WHEN YOU ARGUE AGAINST DUALS. NO CRAP THEY COST MORE MONEY! ARE YOU FORGETTING THAT YOU'RE GETTING A WHOLE OTHER PROCESSOR!? DO YOU KNOW WHAT A PROCESSOR IS? IT'S THAT LITTLE THING THAT MAKES YOUR G5 GO VROOOOM. Duals are necessary! You're talking about another processor like it's just another stick of ram. Think again. That's two brains thinking inside your machine, and benchmarks will hear me out.

As for optical drives, Apple needs not sacrifice speed for an extra drive when you can buy superfast external drives that you can put anywhere on your desk.

And two models in the whole lineup? Dude, where's my variety? I can only get a tortoise and a hare? What i I want something inbetween?

THREE MODELS IS THE PERFECT NUMBER FOR A LINEUP.

It allows the perfect amount of choice, not dauntingly excessive, but not to little. And the customer can Build to Order his or her perfect balnced setup.

I'm done here.