2003 Musical Year in Review

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Best albums released in 2003. (Check release dates of albums before expressing outrage, please.)

By genre, in numerical order.

All my opinion, please add to my list!

Mainstream "alternative" Rocking

1) Hail to the Thief - radiohead (album of the year)

2) World Without Tears - Lucinda Williams

3) Elephant - The White Stripes

4) 12 Memories - Travis

5) Diamonds on the Inside - Ben Harper

Honorable Mentions:

Welcome to the Monkey House - The Dandy Warhols ; Thirteenth Step - A Perfect Circle ; The Wind - Warren Zevon ; The Golden Age of Grotesque - Marilyn Manson

Non-Mainstream "alternative" Rocking:

1) Neon Golden - The Notwist

2) Chutes Too Narrow - The Shins

3) Lot 22 - Bettie Serveert

4) Phantom Power - Super Furry Animals

5) O - Damien Rice

Honorable Mentions:

Show Me Your Tears - Frank Black & The Catholics ; The Fire Theft - The Fire Theft ; Give Up - The Postal Service ; The Meadowlands - The Wrens ; A Drug Problem That Never Existed - Mondo Generator

Rap & Hip-Hop

1) Speakerboxx/The Love Below - OutKast

2) Boy In Da Corner - Dizzee Rascal

3) Elephunk - Black Eyed Peas

4) The Listening - Little Brother

5) Get Rich or Die Tryin' - 50 Cent

Honorable mentions:

Wooden Leather - Nappy Roots ; Everyone Deserves Music - Michael Franti & Spearhead ; Later That Day - Lyrics Born ; This Is Not A Test! - Missy Elliott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I have to put Greendale by Neil Young on my top 5.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    It's been a boring year, musically. Last year was much better. All my nominees have already been mentioned.... I haven't heard the new Tori Amos album, but they're mostly remixes of her old stuff, so that's not even new.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Empty Scenery.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Although I am somewhat biassed I would have to add Dave Matthews new offering Some Devil to the list. Dave and Co. always produce a top quality offering (possibly with the exception of Everyday). Even those who don't enjoy listening to their music still have to respect them as some of the top musicians in the world today.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    I just realized that the only albums I purchased this year that were released this year were Speakerboxx/The Love Below (which I really liked, but I'm not sure if I'd put it at the top of my list) and The Neptunes' Clones (which I realized was kind of disappointing once my excitement over ODB being back had worn off). I've been meaning to pick up Dizzee's Boy in da Corner, Basement Jaxx's Kish Kash and Jay-Z's Black Album based on what I've heard...but don't have them yet so won't comment.

I did buy a lot of 12s...I'll have to think about what the top ones were.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Although I am somewhat biassed I would have to add Dave Matthews new offering Some Devil to the list. Dave and Co. always produce a top quality offering (possibly with the exception of Everyday). Even those who don't enjoy listening to their music still have to respect them as some of the top musicians in the world today.

I'm a huge dave fan....seen them 12 times

but they are no where near top musicians in the world today.

and im tired of live albums. release some new original shit already. i dont count everyday since I have no idea how to even clasify that album.

and now dave solo..... errr.... i will give him credit, he finally got some good friends to play with him. I went to the show which turned out to be "Listener Supported" and it was promoted as Dave Matthews and Friends....turned out to be 3 black women and a keyboardist.

Go early to the solo shows....Buddie Miller kicks ass and is playing with Emmy Lou Harris.

wanna go see an awesome live show..... Los Lobos or Gov't Mule.

Also, Ben Harper's album was excellent.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Jeez I'm either too old or too uncool to even have heard of most of this stuff.

I just feel like there's so much older music out there, that who has time for all this new stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    2002 was better, but there was still a lot of good stuff.

This year was really thin for hip-hop, most of all. Dominated by 50 Cent and, later in the year, OutKast.

nut:

I had trouble with #4&5, because I like Ben Harper's album and Travis'. Both very very good.

zod:

Dizzee's album is worth buying. Like all hip-hop albums it goes in spurts, but when it's on it is fantastic and fresh.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    I'd like to add:

Rainy Day Music by The Jayhawks
  • Reply 10 of 44
    At the risk o' bouncing aff at a tangent (much as popular music itself has done in the past few decades) I wid like tae express my preferred highlight o' the year as being the re-emergence o' vinyl as a primary recording medium. The 7 inch single is back and I for one am delighted. Once again diamond stylus and vinyl can kiss openly at 45rpm outwith the closet, and the shiny new technological usurpers o' cd, dvd, microdisc and mpthingy, must slink off and die, their digital pretence exposed. Long live the throb, hiss and crackle o' music playing as it was ever meant tae be!

I widnae be surprised if software starts coming on vinyl LPs too.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Although I am somewhat biassed

You have two? That rocks.

I'd have to add the two Ben Folds EPs "Speed Graphic" and "Sunny 16", plus Ryan Adams' "Love Is Hell" (Both volumes, the second of which was released today) and "Rock & Roll".
  • Reply 12 of 44
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mlnjr

You have two? That rocks.

• Reply 13 of 44
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I have to agree that this wasn't a stellar year for music, but there were a few I liked:

Transatlanticism - Death Cab for Cutie

Promise of Love - American Analog Set

Happy Songs for Happy People - Mogwai

Nocturama - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

You Are Free - Cat Power
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Groverat, I like your list (and Hail to the Thief is definitely my favorite album of the year).

I was also a big fan of Think Tank by Blur and [I]The Thirteenth Step[I] by A Perfect Circle.

But I definitely bought more CDs last year than this year.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    The Strokes

Room On Fire

HOW COULD YOU FORGET THIS RELEASE?!?!?!?!/1?1!one!?!/!1qusetion mark!?!?!?!?/??!
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Because I hated the album.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

so did I
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

so did I

I love the album and so does almost all my friends...

They are one of the only non-ska bands that I like.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    I hate ska.

I liked Is This It?
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:

I hate ska.

I liked Is This It?

Is This It? was great too... but I like Room On Fire better.

As for ska... your missing out. Just kidding. That is the great thing about music... you can have your own taste and nobody can tell you otherwise. Now pardon me while I blast some Mustard Plug and finish drawing my two-toned tribute to music.