Questions about how to backup iApp database!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
my system is quite in a mess, so I wanna format the whole disk and re-assign the partation size, but I have no ideas on how to back up the following stuffz, so give me some hints to ensure everything not lose after a new system rebuilt.

1, all my iTunes libaray

2, all my emails and mailbox settings in Mail.

3, all my address book persons

4, all my iPhoto libarary

5, all my iCal settings and stuff in it.

6, can I simply save all the apps in application folder, and just drag them back when a new system restored, will all of them can be used normaly

where should I find these important personal data and how to extract before format and how to restore them after restore?

a punch of questions, thx for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by seen_xu

my system is quite in a mess, so I wanna format the whole disk and re-assign the partation size, but I have no ideas on how to back up the following stuffz, so give me some hints to ensure everything not lose after a new system rebuilt.

1, all my iTunes libaray

2, all my emails and mailbox settings in Mail.

3, all my address book persons

4, all my iPhoto libarary

5, all my iCal settings and stuff in it.

6, can I simply save all the apps in application folder, and just drag them back when a new system restored, will all of them can be used normaly

where should I find these important personal data and how to extract before format and how to restore them after restore?

a punch of questions, thx for your help.

All of those things are in your Library folder in your home directory. If you back up your home directory, all of that will be saved as well. None of it is stored in the Applications folders... those are just applications, after all.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

All of those things are in your Library folder in your home directory.

Almost. 1-5 are all in the home folder, but not necessarily the Library folder. iTunes' files are in Music. iPhoto's files are in Pictures. The rest are in the Library. I love how it all logically falls together.

Regardless, back up your home and you'll be just fine.

<rehash praise about why the user hierarchy is so fantastic in OSX>

Oh, and the applications? Just be sure you backup the root /Library folder too. Sometimes apps like to put stuff there too. Once you reinstall and put your backups where they belong, be sure to run the Repair Permissions from Disk Utility. Though, none of Apple's iApps put anything in the root /Library folder. You should only back this up if you're worried about third-party apps.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    You didn't ask about this specifically, but watch out for things like saved games. My WCIII saved games are in my applications folder for some reason. That's just the default. I've been burned by this one a few times following a backup/reformat cycle. Just make sure you get everything. The important stuff, though, should all be in your home folder, like Brad and Kick said.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    seen_xuseen_xu Posts: 134member
    ok, guys, thank you very much.

and it seems the most important pathes are

root/user/my account(home)/liabary/

and

root/user/my account(home)/

I should backup these two, right?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by seen_xu

ok, guys, thank you very much.

and it seems the most important pathes are

root/user/my account(home)/liabary/

and

root/user/my account(home)/

I should backup these two, right?

Just back up the second one and you'll get the first. Your Library is contained within your home folder and just backing the home folder up will get everything you need.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    seen_xuseen_xu Posts: 134member
    ok, just backup my entire home folder.