Super idiot question Here: OSX / server?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is it possible for me to host my own web page simply using OSX?

and if not, can I do so by running OSX Server?

and if so, HOW?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Is it possible for me to host my own web page simply using OSX?

and if not, can I do so by running OSX Server?

and if so, HOW?

Yes. In the sharing pref pane, check "Personal Web Sharing". That will start the Apache webserver. You can either put things in your home directory -> sites folder or you can put them in the /Library/WebServer/Documents folder. If you put them in the sites folder, the address would be: http://youriphere/~pfflam/filename. In the /L/W/D folder it would be http://youriphere/filename. It's actually pretty easy to do. The client version of OSX has many of the same features of the server without the pretty GUI. OS X Server is for sissies. Real men configure stuff through the CLI.

The problem with serving stuff yourself is the IP address issue. Chances are you don't have a static IP and your ISP would frown on you using your connection to serve anything, but those are minor problems that can be gotten around with some creativity.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    murbot beat me to it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

murbot beat me to it.

I wish I were murbot. Then I could have a new mac every day of the week.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Yes.[ . . .] but those are minor problems that can be gotten around with some creativity.

wow . . . thanks.

any ideas about creative means for a static IP

right now I have DSL on airport . . . . is that any closer to keeping one

and what do you think the options are of simply asking my ISP for a static IP?

hmm? I very much appreciate all of this input . . .
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

wow . . . thanks.

any ideas about creative means for a static IP

right now I have DSL on airport . . . . is that any closer to keeping one

and what do you think the options are of simply asking my ISP for a static IP?

hmm? I very much appreciate all of this input . . .

In order to serve behind your ABS, you need to do some port mapping. Check the AI Genius Bar FAQ for a post of mine that details how to do this. Whatever you do, DON'T ask your ISP how you can set up a server. They will charge you out the wazoo for it. You can get an pseudo-static address domain name through www.dyndns.org to allow people to access your site without having to keep them apprised of your new IP address. I haven't used their service in a long time, so someone else might be better suited to answering that part of it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Or, if you have DSL already, strongly look into speakeasy.net. THE BEST geek ISP out there that I've run across. They care not *WHAT* you do with the line, as long as it doesn't violate legalities, and they restrict exactly nothing. $50/mo for a *static* IP. Behind that, I have a server hosting up web, mail, ftp, etc, etc, etc, and they were even willing to work with me to get a funky dual-layer DNS setup going. Definitely above and beyond your normal ISP.

Their tech support is second to none in my experience, and their connection has gone down exactly once in three years, for a total of two hours. Online help is good, and their phone support wait times are generally under 10 minutes at most, usually 2.

Aaaaaaaaaand.... they support MacOS X. *Happily*. In fact, I've had three tech support folks out of four calls respond to the fact of what OS I was using with "Oh good, this will be easy then." The other didn't praise it, but didn't dismiss it or worse, say they didn't support it.

I'm phenomenally happy with this folks. When things are working (which is 99.9% of the time), I never hear from them. When things aren't working the way I expect, they're right on top of things. And, I've never had a billing error.