Subaru Enthusiasts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Do we have any other Subaru enthusiasts out there other than obviously Serrano and myself?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    I've got a 1997 Subaru Outback for sale (in Burlington VT) if anyone is looking to become an enthusiast. PM for more details...
  • Reply 2 of 38
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Not an enthusiast, but there's a new car purchase coming up, and Impreza WRX / GX are definitely under consideration.

I like..

Low weight - Impreza not really lightweight but as far as I know it's among the lightest 4WDs

Reasonable space for daily driving - check

Reasonably good power - check

No luxury premium in price - check

This kind of "low-end, non-luxury performance" is very scarce here in Finland, especially RWD.

Best options yet seem to be Imprezas and Civic Type-R. Miata is too expensive and impractical (seats only 2), RX-8 seems too expensive though tempting.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    I've owned a Forester and then traded it in on a Legacy GT Limited. I really liked the Forester, but needed something a little nicer for long drives.

Great vehicles and it doesn't hurt that every model is AWD
  • Reply 4 of 38
    WRX hatchback....*drools uncontrollably*
  • Reply 5 of 38
    I wasn't expecting the responses so quickly.

I drive a 97 Legacy GT right now. I'll be getting either an STi (sedan, wagon if they offer it by early 05) or a new Legacy 2.5GT turbo (either sedan or wagon as well.) It is just awesome how much fun these cars are. I know a handful of people with STi's (spend some ~250 miles in one not quite 2 months ago on a group drive) and they are awesome during AutoX and on the street.

Watch the detroit auto show around the 5th and 6th of January for the new Legacy. It should be awesome!

BTW, any here regular NASIOC or any other Subaru forums? I'm a regular on the Cobb Tuning and NASIOC ones.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    subdriven.com

I want to see the Subaru Legacy B4 selling the USA.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Power of X

Do we have any other Subaru enthusiasts out there other than obviously Serrano and myself?

These people actually exist? *shudders*
  • Reply 8 of 38
    What, enthusiasts? Is Subaru and enthusiast a taboo to you? We have some great group drives, couple STi's, bunch of old-skool RS's, WRX's, a LegGT, between 25 and 30 cars. Will be more this coming spring.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    More of an AO thread, boys...
  • Reply 10 of 38
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    great car . . . . I have one
  • Reply 11 of 38
    I come from Subaru country. I.e. 50% of the cars on the street are Subaru. Grandpa had a Legacy. Wasn't very impressed with it. Bought a Civic and is now very happy. It's too bad the North American Market doesn't support the A3. Now that's a peppy of a car.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    I mainly now drive my mom's 1999 Subaru Outback, since she has a new car now. It's a nice car, except for the light on the clock went out, grrrr.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Probably more than a REX and heavier though I haven't looked at the specs since the previous generation. The new Leg should really haul butt and be bigger for around the same cash as that Audi. 2.5L turbo and 250-280hp range with just as much torque. 8)

As for the sold it for a Civic, I'm not too torn, my dealership is great and sells both Hondas and Subarus. The techs who work on them say they get to work on the two best brands. Funny, the Audi dealership is down the street and a couple of them said they could get paid enough to work there.

EDIT: Looked in on the S3 weight. That thing is a pig, weighs more than the Japanese Legacy 2.0GT sedan and just less than the wagon IIRC. (You can't tell I'm all for Subaru can you? :P )

Here's to entice you a little. Unfortunately I was told the female doesn't come along with the car. Sorry.

Enough for the drool factor now.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Not a fan of Subaru,

I rather like this French concept car....

407 Elixir

Fellows
  • Reply 15 of 38
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    93 Impreza L. Love the AWD. When I lived in the mountains I'd pass the SUVs stuck in a ft of snow all the time. Plan on turn it into a project vehicle when I can afford a turbo Forrester.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Looking at the reviews and the specs, the A3 (or the near-identical VW Golf R32) do not seem all that interesting. Weight close to 1550kg even though these are supposed to be small cars. Very front-biased because that V6 is such a huge/heavy engine for a car that size.

I wonder why the car makers don't seem to care about weight anymore. Just a little while ago I was reminded how important it is for a car's driveability. I was along for a ride in neighbor's 15-yr old stock Nissan Sunny (1050kg, 90hp). The old car actually felt fast, fun and lively with a comparably little amount of engine power.

When you think about it, reducing weight from an existing car is similar to simultaneously doing all this:

- tune engine for more power

- tune engine for better gas mileage

- upgrade tires for more grip

- upgrade brakes
  • Reply 17 of 38
    It also improves body roll, weight distribution (pending areas weight is removed from.)

That's why you've gotta love what Subaru is doing. They have taken somewhere between 100-200kg out of the various Legacy models in Japan. That's practically unheard of these days. Right now the REX is like 3100Lbs, if they were built in relation to their previous models (though with a better chassis), it would be more like 200Lbs lighter. *crossing fingers* I hope they do that with the next one. Will make it a toy again like the 2800Lbs GC models. Even my 3100Lbs Legacy is pretty nimble.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Looking at the reviews and the specs, the A3 (or the near-identical VW Golf R32) do not seem all that interesting. Weight close to 1550kg even though these are supposed to be small cars. Very front-biased because that V6 is such a huge/heavy engine for a car that size.

I wonder why the car makers don't seem to care about weight anymore. Just a little while ago I was reminded how important it is for a car's driveability. I was along for a ride in neighbor's 15-yr old stock Nissan Sunny (1050kg, 90hp). The old car actually felt fast, fun and lively with a comparably little amount of engine power.

When you think about it, reducing weight from an existing car is similar to simultaneously doing all this:

- tune engine for more power

- tune engine for better gas mileage

- upgrade tires for more grip

- upgrade brakes

huh?!

Review by www.new-car-reviews.co.uk

Summary

The Audi A3 represents the luxury end of the family hatch market and 2003 has seen the arrival of a new model. Competition comes from the BMW Compact, Alfa 147 and the Mercedes C-Class Sports Coupe.

Externally updates in 2003 represent an evolution of the previous design, however under the skin the A3 is the first car to use the new VW Golf platform and a few new engines have been added to the line up. Internally the car continues Audi's tradition of clinical, logical design and it is trimmed in high quality materials that are solidly assembled.

The ride and handling of the new car is much improved over its predecessor and the A3 should now genuinely live up to its sporting pretensions. Grip is superb even without the 4-wheel drive quattro system, the ride blends a sporty firmness without compromising the cars performance over uneven road surfaces and the steering is accurate and direct.

The A3 range provides five engine choices, three petrol and two diesel. Petrol engines are either 1.6, 2.0 or 3.2 litre, diesel engines are either 1.9 or 2.0 litre. The 3.2 litre variant comes with the quattro 4-wheel drive system as standard and manages 0-60mph in 6.7 seconds and a maximum speed of 155 mph.

At cruising speeds on longer motorway journeys the A3 is a quiet car; wind and road engine noise are very subdued and only the 1.9 diesel creates any audible engine noise.

Practically the new A3 is a huge improvement on its predecessor, four adult passengers are treated to plenty of head and legroom and boot is slightly larger with split folding rear seats adding to the cars load carrying versatility.

On the down side the rear pillars significantly reduce rearward visibility and the A3 is an expensive alternative the the VW Golf. However, residuals are very strong and in the long-run the A3 should prove to be a reasonable purchase.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    This isn't the Audi thread. I just made this thread to see if there were others out there who enjoyed the same brand of vehicle I do. Feel free to start an Audi Enthusiasts thread.

Personally I could care less about luxury. If it comes with it, I guess I'll take it, but I'd far rather stick my money into handling and the performance end. Like an STi, it doesn't even come with a radio (but on group drives, 2-ways more than keep co-driver and driver alike entertained. ) I could have a REX (WRX for layman) for less than probably any of those A3 models or close, the wagon in particular with more room even, not to mention it's great aftermarket following. Gotta love the Boxer burble too. 8)

I see a lot of NA (Naturally Aspirated) cars in the field. Got any turbo guys and gal around?

Anyone getting out to play in the snow yet? They said 4-7 here, now they say rain + MAYBE an inch. I was really looking forward to trying out my new tires.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    I don't consider myself a Subaru enthusiast, but I own a 2003 Forester XS Premium -- Cayenne Red monotone.

I bought it last summer. I also test-drove a Legacy GT wagon but wasn't that impressed with it.

I like the Forester, though. My only gripe is with the climate control system, which is powerful but poorly controlled.