Coca-Cola is launching a music download site

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Don't know if this is the right place (mods please move if not)

story here
Quote:

DRINKS giant Coca-Cola is launching a music download site ? with songs costing 99p a track.

The company announced yesterday it will offer 250,000 tracks by 8,500 artists from next month ? the internet?s largest collection of legal downloads. Users of mycokemusic.com must be over 18, and pay with credit or debit cards.

A spokeswoman for Coke ? who are to sponsor the single and album charts ? said: ?Legal downloading is set to be one of the most important innovations in the way consumers access music.?

j.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Typical in-depth reporting from The Sun. They fail to mention the minor uproar over Coca-Cola agreeing that it wouldn't market it's sugary fizzy water to children under 12 and then turning around and sponsoring a music download service.

It will be interesting to see how they promote it and how they ensure that the buyers are 18+
  • Reply 2 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    We are seeing clear signs that the end of the world is approaching.

http://www.mycokemusic.com/indexflash.html

Whats next? mymarsbarmusic? My barbiemusic.com? mymcdonaldsmusic? donaldduckmusic.com?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    snap up those domians...

j.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

The company announced yesterday it will offer 250,000 tracks by 8,500 artists from next month ? the internet?s largest collection of legal downlo

Doesn't iTMS have 400,000 songs by now?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Doesn't iTMS have 400,000 songs by now?

Probably, but: mycokemusic.com is
    Quote:

intended for use by residents of Great Britain, aged 12 years and over.

It'll be the first in the UK, won't it?

Of course, this is a blatant error in the Sun's reporting, just as the fact that they claim only 18 years and older are 'allowed'.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

It'll be the first in the UK, won't it?

No, OD2 have music stores around Europe (they provide the music and MSN, Tiscali and others sell the music).
  • Reply 7 of 15
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Diluting a brand seems like all the rage these days.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Diluting a brand seems like all the rage these days.

Don't you mean, diluting a brand with music download services? ha!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Don't you mean, diluting a brand with music download services? ha!

Sure, but there are other ways to do it: http://wwws.sun.com/software/javadesktopsystem/
  • Reply 10 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    mymcdonaldsmusic.com would be great. remember, that's my mcdonald's? I'm lovin it...

I don't think a single company will make profit besides Apple. Every other service sucks.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I don't think a single company will make profit besides Apple. Every other service sucks.

You know, I've actually had someone argue that rhapsody is better. I think the reasoning was that there were more indie groups.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    actually yeah I think rhapsody is the only contender I wish they had a mac version with AAC
  • Reply 13 of 15
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

Don't know if this is the right place (mods please move if not)

story here

j.

This news only confirms what I have been thinking all along. In the next few years, consumers will be able to buy music online just like they can with actual CDs. They buy them almost everywhere. iTunes music store will probably end up being one of the thousand's of places to buy music.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    At first, I thought this thread was a joke! No, really!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    lets all boycott coke and buy up all the pepsi bottles when the contest starts! (now if i could just come up with some money to buy all that)