Any thoughts on the new Battlestar Galactica miniseries?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Haven't seen it yet. It's on in about 20 min. here. I think it might be good. The new Viper sure looks cool.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The character bios on the official site are amusing. Campy in a really bad way...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    the first part was slow, but i liked it, this from a fan of the original
  • Reply 4 of 27
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Even if i am a science fiction weirdos, i always found lame the scenari of battlstar galactica. I just enjoyed the one featuring Patrik MacNee as Satan
  • Reply 5 of 27
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    I liike the visual style of it. And the special effects look pretty great. They also stuck with the women as warriors theme. However... sexy cylons? It's a bit too "species/terminator3" for me.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    I liked it a lot. I'm usually very forgiving of technical and dramatic faux pas though.

I particularly liked the FX of lonely and small ships traveling through space, sometimes even without the whooshing sound effects. The lottery scene in the end on Caprica was nicely done. I thought Baltar was going to somehow cheat his way on, but he didn't and the way he got on was nicely different.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Tell you what...those battle scenes have me freakin' rivetted! (seeing the 2nd episode right now)

(I could have used "frakking", instead, but I think it's use in the show is quite corny. Frakking??!! We're gonna need better curse words for the future than that- honestly...)

I'm confused though! Is this supposed to be a remake of the original series or a different part of the timeline?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

All I remember from Battlestar Galactica was that little annoying robot going budubudubut.

That was Twiggy on Buck Rogers.

The only good-guy robot on BSG was Muffy, the dagget... a cyborg dog.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Kickaha

[B]That was Twiggy on Buck Rogers.

I think you meant Twinky...

not really proud that I remembered that though
  • Reply 10 of 27
    I'm really enjoying the series. I think the sci-fi channel is doing a great job these past couple of years. I enjoyed the Dune series as well.

I was a big fan of the original battlestar galactica, and I really like the fact that they made subtle changes here and there and didn't just follow the original.

there are little things that annoy me, but it's not that big of a deal.

here's hoping they don't screw things up with the rest of the series...
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Yes, I have the Firefly DVD set. Yes, it's awesome. Fox really f&cked that series up so bad it's not funny.

Don't even get me started on Fox. They really don't know how to market sci-fi/fantasy. It's a miracle the X-Files lasted as long as it did.

anyone remember a show called Space: Above and Beyond? It was created by the producers of the X-Files (Morgan and Wong). I thought it was a great show, but Fox thought it was too dark (which was it's main appeal for me). Some people thought it was cheesy, but I just liked it because it was raw and gutsy. The FX were really nicely done, and it had pretty good character development and story line. Fox killed it after one season. They showed this thing after football games. What the hell did they expect?

argh...
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by trowa

I think the sci-fi channel is doing a great job these past couple of years..

Except for cancelling Farscape... to be replaced with a Tremors series...

So they kill the original writing, superb movie-grade SFX/aliens and international cast of Farscape,

to be replaced with Michael Gross from Family Ties and a mutant earthworm... Frelling morons.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    This was the best, most promising, new example of SF TV I've seen in ages. SciFi please make this into a series. WOW! Really good FX! Really good story! Really good characters! In the same show!
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

I've seen a few of the Farscape episodes and was never really impressed. What I saw of Andromeda was better

I don't like the puppeteering on Farscape at all. It looks so cheesy it's sad. Also, what were they THINKING with that horrible theme music? And the Aussie production (and heavy leaning toward Aussie actors) just didn't seem to be ready for prime time. Bring us more SG-1! Now THAT'S great production and great writing.

I'm a lucky guy. My Girlfriend likes these series even more than I do, and she's the one who loves buying the DVDs (and watching them over and over). We have nearly identical taste in television. Our favorites are Futurama, SG-1, Buffy, Angel, now Firefly (we'd never heard of it, but I bought it based on my faith in Joss Whedon alone), and oddly, Sex and the City.

Meanwhile, I've finally convinced her that Mutant X is pure shite. She blames it on the Canadians.

Bad theme music? Have you watched Enterprise? Holy 80s rock ballad, Batman.

A few moments of mute during the credits is enough to make the show palatable (Vulcan backrubs help).

Farscape's Australian cast is something I always found refreshing... not the same old sci-fi actors or directors for a change. As for the muppets, at least the aliens look alien... production values were pretty high, and the spacecraft and technology rival those from shows with TNG budgets.

Plus, lots of subtly sci-fi inside jokes for those who dig creative dialogue.

As for blaming us Canadians, we take the credit for SG-1 production, too... filmed in BC.

Firefly was interesting, but according to Joss Whedon, the studios never bought into his concept of "laconic pace" or the Trek-like 'wagon train to the stars' fusion of space and six-guns. And the character of Jane proved that the Baldwin family name doesn't guarantee bad acting. Plus, how many prime time shows feature a lead character who's a "companion".
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by trowa

anyone remember a show called Space: Above and Beyond? It was created by the producers of the X-Files (Morgan and Wong). I thought it was a great show, but Fox thought it was too dark (which was it's main appeal for me).

I do! I really thought it had some potential, too. Sad to see it go. A lot of the style coming out of this new BSG series reminds of Space: Above and Beyond.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

I do! I really thought it had some potential, too. Sad to see it go. A lot of the style coming out of this new BSG series reminds of Space: Above and Beyond.

Chigs to shoot at, Vansen to oggle, the USS Saratoga, Hammerhead Endo-Exo-Atmospheric Fighters, R. Lee Ermy in the first episode as the USMC DI, what was there to not like about S:AAB?

This BSG was awesome. Had me in tears when the civilians made the FTL jump. The Tough Decisions....

New Galactica is awesome. If they don't make a series, then they're... wrong.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Yeah, that scene had me thinking, "No way, would they do that..." They did though- what a ballsy script! Also the scene with the commander savagely bashing the head in of that humanoid Cylon dude with a flashlight. These were scenes specifically to never be found in any Star Trek incarnation...refreshing.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

That was Twiggy on Buck Rogers.

I thought it was Twiki... Biddybiddybiddy. Mel Blanc was the voice.

---

As for the talk of [i]Firefly[i] and Space: Above and Beyond...

BLECH.

---

Ahahaha, the Asian's a Cylon!
  • Reply 19 of 27
    I thought I'd hate it--I'm a BSG purist. But it was very well done, the FX were great, and characters were strong. Especially the Boomer and Starbuck characters, which I was worried might turn out to be just eye candy in space suits. I even warmed to the change they made to Baltar's character, which gave him a lot more depth than the original. It has a very different feel from the original series. I still love the original, but this one's great too.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    I just thought I would bump this thread ( about a very promising show ) up one more time. BG did very well in the ratings. The 2nd night was SciFi's biggest night all year! So it seems very likely this will go to a series!