GigaWire. Think Video.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Based on the information in this link regarding Quicktime, MPEG-4 and the nature of the patent for GigaWire, an idea popped into my head.

<a href="http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5100530,00.html?chkpt=zdnnp1tp02"; target="_blank">http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5100530,00.html?chkpt=zdnnp1tp02</a>;

I know it is a circumstantial argument, but I think GigaWire might have something to do with QuickTime and its soon-to-be incorporation of MPEG-4.

Basically, I speculate GigaWire will be some sort of new video service from Apple that would replace or augment the QuickTime TV (QTV) channels. So instead of the current choppy, blocky BBC news on QTV, we get TV-quality BBC news.

What about the internet infrastructure Apple would need for this? Simple. Akamai.

Just a thought.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Isnt Firewire already closly associated with video. Thusy wouldnt Gigawire mearly be an extention apon that? Also how exactly would one connected to this 'Gigawire network' from Apple? Is Apple going to get into the cable buisness or something?

I dont know, I assumed that Gigawire was just going to be a faster version of Firewire.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I like the idea, but I'm not sure if it follows. You are suggesting that Apple would somehow supply its users with faster connection to the internet. Remember: video and audio still fundamentally are data being transferred. Thus, to have high quality BBC on your computer, you need a high speed connection. Unless Apple figured out some crazy way to get lots of a/v data from them to us very quickly, I don't see this happening.

However, I do believe Gigawire will have something to do with video. What? I don't know.

Maybe it'll be a new Gigapet. Instead of a pet, it's a wire. You have to get your wire to grow as big as you can. You heard it here first.

- Pook :cool:
  • Reply 3 of 5
    This has nothing to do with Apple becoming a cable-modem ISP.

The important part of what I said is about MPEG-4.

MPEG-4 allows for higher quality internet video at a lower bit-rate. i.e. you get a better video image at a lower bandwidth.

Basically, if you are on a cable modem, the internet video you download will have a quality somewhere between TV and DVD video (I think).

I just think Apple might be looking to be the first to bring MPEG-4 capabilities to the mass market by integrating it into the QuickTime player -- and they might just call it GigaWire.

I'd be cool.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: NeoMac ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    It'd be pretty silly to name something that wasn't a wire, whatever*wire.

It's uncharacteristic of Apple to name a service or connection in that way . . . and there's no infrastructure set up for that kind of service.

(unless they're offering it only to broadband people - which is silly)

You can practically guarantee that it'll be an actual wire or some sort.

My guess is that it's Firewire2. (but why the rebranding? =( )

and that they will stress the ability to be able to cluster Macs together through firewire networking.

(not to say that they're ditching Ethernet, mind you!)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I definently think it's firewire 2. I was at an Apple conference down here Australia - iv'e been to many and heard the same presentation - only this time the speaker made a major point of outlining the speed increases we'll see in Firewire. That doesn't mean much but when you've seen the same presentation with the same guy over and over and all of a sudden, overnight, it's updated it makes you think.