Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Will the madness never end?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Well, when everyone has been crushed... it might.

• Reply 3 of 12
    Well, if you can't innovate, steal. If you can't make up some BS and sue. Dear Cheese and Crackers...MS stands for MineStolen. Oh well, I guess the only company to kill off for MS is Wal-Mart. Who have you got your money on?

~tommy

• Reply 4 of 12
    so now anyone who makes dynamic web content or web apps has to pay license fees to MS??? does this include things like php?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Someone help me out here, what does this actually mean? I'm mean practically speaking
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    As far as I can tell, this patent explicitly *doesn't* include web applications- it's for using HTML, Javascript, VBscript etc. for desktop use (as a really easy way of creating a user interface & some functionality for a non-programmer)

In some ways, kinda like hypercard perhaps?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Did I read the article right? It seems to me that MS just patented pop up windows.

Quote:

"It's simply about opening separate windows for applications outside the browser, and it's built into Windows today."

• Reply 8 of 12
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfryer

As far as I can tell, this patent explicitly *doesn't* include web applications- it's for using HTML, Javascript, VBscript etc. for desktop use (as a really easy way of creating a user interface & some functionality for a non-programmer)

In some ways, kinda like hypercard perhaps?

Konfabulator anyone?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

From ZDNet: Microsoft on Tuesday won a patent for launching a certain kind of HTML application within Windows.

Does this mean a patent specific to the Windows OS, or does it mean Windows as in the UI element?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Does this mean a patent specific to the Windows OS, or does it mean Windows as in the UI element?

Notice the capital W?

----

My take on this is that MS just got a patent on using HTML outside the browser (in Windows) which they are already using.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Notice the capital W?

----

My take on this is that MS just got a patent on using HTML outside the browser (in Windows) which they are already using.

Isn´t that a really bad idea for MS to do?

That would probably make it more difficult for developers to make programs for Windows.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Notice the capital W?

----

In that case, who cares...