Baffled by Jpeg Problem ?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I try "flipping" images horizontally or vertically in Quicktime ( Picture viewer ) some of them do and some of them don't.

I am totally baffled. \

The Jpegs that work Ok are the ones I've downloaded from the net.

The ones that don't flip..are my own..shot with a Nikon Coolpix 700 : ( Average 500K image file size per image).

As far as I recall it has never done this before.

What the hell am I doing wrong ?

I have re-installed OS~9.2 and all Quicktime extensions.

Yet this problem persists and it's driving me nuts..

Any clues how I can cure this "problem" ?

Or is there an alternative viewer that will allow me to flip images ?

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Have you provided Picture Viewer with enough memory? I reckon your machine is old. Was that the iMac?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Have you provided Picture Viewer with enough memory? I reckon your machine is old. Was that the iMac?

Yes I am using 600M-ghtz imac with 256 Megs of ram..I can bump that up to 500 and something...

the other weird thing is when I try to flip it the image shows only a part or remains totally the same..
  • Reply 3 of 7
    you can also drag .jpg files into your browser for display (though you can't rotate them there)

JPEGs come in a variety of flavours:

Standard, Optimized, and Progressive (alternate scan lines res in)

not all players are happy with Progressive JPEGs but QT shouldn't have any problems.

if you can display them in your browser or other programs, then corrupted JPEG is unlikely,

but it's possible the camera output might be TIFF or confused by EXIF data

if you're sure that's not it, then more info might help us troubleshoot
  • Reply 4 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Yes I am using 600M-ghtz imac with 256 Megs of ram..I can bump that up to 500 and something...

the other weird thing is when I try to flip it the image shows only a part or remains totally the same..

You don't have to up the memory physically. I think 256 MB in OS 9 with moderate needs is more than enough (giving pictureviewer more memory does not equal giving your imac more memory).

What you could try: select the Pictureviewer application (while it's not running), choose 'Get Info' from the File menu, choose 'memory' in the little popout menu you'll see there. Up those numbers (minimum - preferred) to something more decent, perhaps double of what it is now.

Another thing: have you installed Quicktime 6? Cuz you probably should. As der Suburb says: your nikon may very well be producing some wackily formatted jpegs. An older version of Quicktime could have problems with those.

Relevant link.

EDIT: verbs require adverbs! And don't you forget it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

you can also drag .jpg files into your browser for display (though you can't rotate them there)

JPEGs come in a variety of flavours:

Standard, Optimized, and Progressive (alternate scan lines res in)

not all players are happy with Progressive JPEGs but QT shouldn't have any problems.

if you can display them in your browser or other programs, then corrupted JPEG is unlikely,

but it's possible the camera output might be TIFF or confused by EXIF data

if you're sure that's not it, then more info might help us troubleshoot

Thanks for trying to help.

My usual proceedure is to drop my jpeg formatted images directly onto Internet Explorer ( last version ).

I usually do this 8 images at a time. (I have found this is as many as Xplorer can handle in any one group).

I then drag each resultant images onto the desktop. where it creates a miniature thumb image.

When I double click this miniature Quicktime starts up and displays the resulting Jpeg..

So as far as I know, I am doing everything according to the book..

really odd.. I am thinking Jpeg Viewer Or Graphic converter...as substitutes...

Any opinions....\
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I'm guessing the software that came with the camera doesn't work for OS9?

What about rotating the images in your camera before importing them into your computer?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

I'm guessing the software that came with the camera doesn't work for OS9?

What about rotating the images in your camera before importing them into your computer?

Don't think it is possible.. Might try downloading QTime 6 tho...

At least it won't hurt.\