Making DVD Menus

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a DVD that always has subtitles...and there is no way to turn them off. If I make a menu in DVD SP, can I make the buttons in the menu link to the .vob files I get from the dvd or do I need the actually movie files in mpg form?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Last desperate bump to see if anyone knows how to do this so I don't have to convert with ffmpeg so I can remake stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I have a DVD that always has subtitles...and there is no way to turn them off. If I make a menu in DVD SP, can I make the buttons in the menu link to the .vob files I get from the dvd or do I need the actually movie files in mpg form?

are you sure that the subtitles are on dvd, or on film?

what i mean (sorry, english is an alein language for me ;-)) is, that some movies have the subtitles integrated; very common method over here in germany, e.g. michael moore's TheBigOne has subtitles, which are in printed into the orginal film version itself!

so, you cannot switch them off, they are integrated into the picture? \

AFAIK, if the subtitles are just on the dvd itself, you can switch them off, read the manual of your dvd player, sometimes thre is no "set up" in the menu of a dvd - i have never heard of a method to master subtitles with "allways visible"?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I'm sure that they are not on the DVD files because I played the vob's in VLC and they played fine without subtitles. But there is a DVD menu that MAKES you pic before you can proceed. I just figured i'd make a new menu, but didn't know if it was possible.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

I'm sure that they are not on the DVD files because I played the vob's in VLC and they played fine without subtitles. But there is a DVD menu that MAKES you pic before you can proceed. I just figured i'd make a new menu, but didn't know if it was possible.

ok, .vobs without subtitles gives us the clue! - so, what you need is a re-mastered dvd with a switch to get rid off the annoying subtitelks, right...?

hmmmmmm - afaik, you have to demuxx and master the dvd again! - difficult process:

with OseX you can rip the dvd, choose elementary streams.

you get a bunch of .m2v and .ac3/m2a files. first is the pics (v=video), the second your sound - .ac3 has to be processed with a tool called mACdec, this will change an ac3-sound file into an .aiff. a m2a file can be opened with qtpro?

in qt pro open both the video and the aiff file.

copy the .aiff file and place it into your video file.

save the new file.

use ffmpg to muxx the new file (take hours!)

use toast/sizzle to master a new dvd...

end of the journey?

are you sure, you don't like the subtitles...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

ok, .vobs without subtitles gives us the clue! - so, what you need is a re-mastered dvd with a switch to get rid off the annoying subtitelks, right...?

hmmmmmm - afaik, you have to demuxx and master the dvd again! - difficult process:

with OseX you can rip the dvd, choose elementary streams.

you get a bunch of .m2v and .ac3/m2a files. first is the pics (v=video), the second your sound - .ac3 has to be processed with a tool called mACdec, this will change an ac3-sound file into an .aiff. a m2a file can be opened with qtpro?

in qt pro open both the video and the aiff file.

copy the .aiff file and place it into your video file.

save the new file.

use ffmpg to muxx the new file (take hours!)

use toast/sizzle to master a new dvd...

end of the journey?

are you sure, you don't like the subtitles...

heh

Yeah thanks man...very helpful!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

heh

Yeah thanks man...very helpful!

we mac users are a big family around the globe - you're welcome!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    anyway to get OSEx to work with files on your computer, or does it only work on physical DVD discs?

I ripped it and gave it back to my friend, I guess I can get it again, just would be easier this way.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

anyway to get OSEx to work with files on your computer, or does it only work on physical DVD discs?

I ripped it and gave it back to my friend, I guess I can get it again, just would be easier this way.

sorry, OseX works only with physical disks! (no mounting etc possible).

but the ripping is done in ? ok, depends on your machine, maximum 1h!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Again thanks.