Panther parts

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is it possible to install parts of Panther after the fact? Such as languages that were deselected during the original installation, or would the whole OS have to reinstalled?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Yes it is possible. You install just like normal (CD --> restart) then just customize your install to only put on what you need...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Awesome, thanks Pie Man.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Have you guys ever deselected the languages you didn't need and then your install not work?

I've had that happen about everytime I did it, anyone know why?

-walloo.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How much space would it add if instead of just US you installed all languages and extra printer drivers, etc...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Pie Man

Yes it is possible. You install just like normal (CD --> restart) then just customize your install to only put on what you need...

You think? I believe it is impossible to deselect base system, so you would in fact be installing a new system. Am I wrong?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Instead, just use pacifist on the packages on the CD. That way you can grab only what you need.

Find Pacifist on MacUpdate.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

You think? I believe it is impossible to deselect base system, so you would in fact be installing a new system. Am I wrong?

I am pretty positive that it actually looks through your existing system, finds anything that isn't there and installs that, without touching things which already exist. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure I remember reading about this as a way to replace things you accidentally deleted as root. Take that with a salt lick...