TV next big P2P file?

homhom
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was poking around the web and found a few sites that offer tv shows for download. I was shocked by how organized and reliable they were. They were mostly animation shows like South Park and Futurama, I assume because they look better under heavy compression. As an example last night there was a new episode of South Park on. It aired at 10 PM EST, but by 11:30 PM EST it was available for download. It was up before it aired on the west coast. With the growth of PRV apps and broadband it only looks like it is getting bigger.

So my question is will tv shows drive the next big wave of P2P?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I downloaded the entire Family Guy series before I bought them. Most newer TV series are on P2P. I wish older series were on there too like Dinosaurs, The Critic, Time Trax (sp)... (You know, the ones you can't buy on DVD)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Is this legal? I was surprised one of my smart friends thought it wasn't when it came up yesterday. He has a TiVo and I was saying how I would buy one, if only it had a FireWire port so I could burn the shows to DVDR. Then he said there were ways to export it and I asked him to send me some Enterprise since I haven't watched it yet and he said no, that's illegal. If VCRs are legal why wouldn't this be? I mean we PAY for satellite/cable, on TOP of watching inane commercials. Pretty soon I have a feeling, with commercial skipping, that all TV is just going to become one big informercial. "Hey Bart, would you hand me those Krispy Kremes and turn on our Sony TV so I can watch The OC and sit back and relax in my Laz E Boy which I just bought from Eric's Furniture on Main Street, which is right next to McDonald's, mm I'm lovin' it..." \
  • Reply 3 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Is this legal?

Well: I have been in contact with the administrator of one of the South Park sites (the sites that offer all the episodes). They have a constant need for bandwidth, and I have considered for a while to host some of the episodes on my server. The requirements were too high for me to meet them, but that's not really the issue here. During our talks, I asked him how legal this all was, and he told me:

Quote:

No problems at all. We have been in constant contact with the people at the South Park Studios and in the 4 years that [snip] has been online we have not been told to remove the episodes ever.

So, there you go. You will notice that South Park episodes really are the only ones that are easy to come by on the web (http like, I mean, though I may be wrong). All the others are either well hidden, or are available through some less easily traceable means.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

So, there you go. You will notice that South Park episodes really are the only ones that are easy to come by on the web (http like, I mean, though I may be wrong). All the others are either well hidden, or are available through some less easily traceable means.

Actually, I found a few sites that do not hide the fact that you can get Futurama, Family Guy, King of The Hill and Da Ali G Show.

But if you look for almost any recent tv show on your p2p app of choice (for research only, no downloading please) you can find an amazing amount. Is this what is causing the tv companies to release even the crappiest shows ever, Dr Quinn, Medicine Women I'm looking at you, on dvd as a preemptive strike?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Um.. Get with the times! There's this little thing called BitTorrent, and if you know where to look you can get just about anything you want. I know people who download and burn to disc more video each day than they'll probably ever be able to actually watch in their lifetime.

Just for example, it's more or less entirely taken over as the medium of distribution for fan-subtitled anime. Out in Japan today, ripped from DVD, translated, and on your computer in a week or two.

As for ethics, fansubbers generally stop translating a particular show when it's licensed for commercial US release. Still illegal, but ethical in its own way. That's how it's always been done, and many companies realize the benefits of this system and allow it to continue.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    thing is you're getting such massive exposure, it's hard to get pissed about it.

hell, South Park owes its existance to people sharing the original Christmas episode among friends. otherwise it would just be a funny little idea that never went anywhere.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I was poking around the web and found a few sites that offer tv shows for download. I was shocked by how organized and reliable they were. They were mostly animation shows like South Park and Futurama, I assume because they look better under heavy compression. As an example last night there was a new episode of South Park on. It aired at 10 PM EST, but by 11:30 PM EST it was available for download. It was up before it aired on the west coast. With the growth of PRV apps and broadband it only looks like it is getting bigger.

So my question is will tv shows drive the next big wave of P2P?

pffft. in college last year, i would [have access to] the simpsons the day before it aired. commercials precut too. i love the internet.

as for legality, i would tend to think its illegal. vcrs, and pvrs, and similar technologies exist not for distribution, but for personal use. ianal, but i think the related copyright laws state that a person is allowed a personal backup copy. sharing that copy, i think, would be breaking the law. and mass-sharing, with cut commercials would be breaking the law in a higher degree. that the south park heads aren't going after that one particular site doesn't mean its legal. they just don't want to be assholes like the riaa/mpaa.

if one does a little searching, for the right words, they might find what they are looking for.