iTunes Smart Playlist

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm using iTunes for Windows XP and I had a quick question about Smart Playlists. I would like to make a playlist that has AND & OR criteria. Example:

YEAR is between 1970 & 1979

OR

COMMENT contains 197

AND

RATING is greater than 3

Is this possible? I want to have a favorites list of songs from the 70's but a lot of my CD's are reissues or compilations so they say they are from the 1990's. I wanted to find a way to acknowledge that these songs were from the 70's without changing the album year. I used the comment area to enter the actual date of the song in order to solve this problem. Unfortunately this requires me to list both YEAR and COMMENT as OR criteria. I want the rating linked to these criteria using an AND relationship. Geez, this probably makes no sense, but if someone could help me with this it would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    you'll have to add quite a bit of criteria to weed out the songs you don't want, but it can be done. Just go to Add new smart playlist and play around with it until you get the desired result.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Do you ever make use of the album (re-)release date in smart-playlists?

If not, move the original release date into the year field and "cd released:1995" in the comment field.

or

order all your tracks by release date, select all the tracks released between 1970 and 1979 and add 197 to the comment.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Alright, thanks for your suggestions. I think I'll move the CD release date to the comment field. I definately think that they should add the option to have some criteria required, while others are optional. Anyway, thanks for the help.