Mail Crashes in Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Could someone please tell me if i have t re-install the apllication mail or what the problem might be.

I installed panther on my g5 and now after importing all my settings or most of them from entourage, as im trying to train mail to use the junk mail properly, the minute i go to select an email and indicate it as junk, the mail application closes.

Now i cant even indicate what emails are junk.

i tried a rebuild and that did absolutely nothing good at all.

if ayone has any advice please let me know

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dage007

Could someone please tell me if i have t re-install the apllication mail or what the problem might be.

I installed panther on my g5 and now after importing all my settings or most of them from entourage, as im trying to train mail to use the junk mail properly, the minute i go to select an email and indicate it as junk, the mail application closes.

Now i cant even indicate what emails are junk.

i tried a rebuild and that did absolutely nothing good at all.

if ayone has any advice please let me know

thanks

This problem has been reported by others, but I don't know its cause. Neither do I know its solution. Mail works fine for me.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Try trashing ~/Library/Mail/LSMMap
  • Reply 3 of 10
    what is the mail/lsmmap file?

will this deleate things i dont want or what does it do before i attempt this?

thanks

dave
  • Reply 4 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Just FYI, I have an LSMMap2 file as well.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I have a file called

lsmmap and also lsmmap2

do i get rid of both of these?

thanks

dave
  • Reply 6 of 10
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I'm having the same problem with Mail as well. Sounds like a major bug in Panther.

Also Illustrator crashes constantly!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Just trashing the LSMMap -file should be sufficient.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    When experiencing the same problem, I deleted both the LSMMap and LSMMap2 (actually moved and renamed just in case), and that fixed everything. I have had to do it a second time when the problem reoccurred. Obviously a bug, but at least easily fixed.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Originally I tried just deleting the lammap and that didnt work. I had to delete both of them and so far nocrashes

thanks
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Those files contain your Junk Mail rules.

Trashing them you will have to retrain your Junk Mail.

Suggestion: get a simple, free backup program and run it weekly to keep a backup copy of your ~/user/Library directory (and whatever else you want to backup). I would recommend keeping 2 sets of backups. This way, if it gets trashed again, go to your latest back up and replace it. This way you won't have to retrain your Junk Mail each time.

For a free backup, go to MacUpdate and look for LaCie's SilverKeeper. Simple, quick and clean and can be set to run automatically as a background task.