Next iPod, 4th Gen, when? anything new?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This may of been talked about, i didnt see anything on it really. Does anyone know when or what features the next iPod will have? I want to get 1 so badly, and can anytime, but i know the current ones have been out since april, and i dont wanna get 1 and new one come out with nicer features, i can wait till march if i have to. I just got 17" PowerBook 1.33, and need nice companion with it, haha.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    yeah--- new smaller drives of toshiba! have a look
  • Reply 2 of 56
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    64 mb ram. That would probably reduce the battery use with 20-30% (if you just let the iPod play away)
  • Reply 3 of 56
    thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 56
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Oh sorry. I don´t know what it will have. It was the other form of specs I was posting
  • Reply 5 of 56
    Well, I've seen the prototype. Essentially it's about half the size of the current model, when folded up (more on this folding design later.) It incorporates a 200G HD, plays DVDs you can rip using the enhanced iTunes 7 software, and comes with six earphones - three front, two back, plus one you wear around your waist (the subwoofer.) It also incorporates a speaker and microphone in the unit itself for when you're using it as a UMTS mobile phone.

When you unfold it (three folds), it turns into an 8" Tablet Mac. Unfortunately it runs Windows XP Tablet Edition in that mode. Unfold it again and it becomes a very usable 2.8GHz G5 iBook. One more time and you get a 24" iMac.

The entire thing is Airport Extreme ready - actually, it uses the much sought 802.11z standard, which is about 50 times faster than 802.11g. Not only does it communicate with the Mac this way, but it also recharges itself using latent energy poured into the ether from the base station.

I'm thinking of maybe upgrading my 10G model when it comes out, though part of me is thinking of holding off - I mean, what happens if they release a 250G model a few months later? Wouldn't I look the idiot!
  • Reply 6 of 56
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

One more time and you get a 24" iMac.

You had me going until here. Everyone knows that the next iMac will be 30".
  • Reply 7 of 56
    peharri,

I think I heard about that iPod prototype. I think that it has 6,400 by 4,800 pixels with 1.28 Gig color gradients per pixel.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    my teacher said he isnt sure if it will be this model, or later on model, but 1 that has a mini screen built into it, to watch movies on, like shrink them to 4 gig size or whatever, and watch them. He said there are products out there like that already, he said iPod might do that. Anyone know?
  • Reply 9 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

This may of been talked about, i didnt see anything on it really. Does anyone know when or what features the next iPod will have?

250 GB and color screen
  • Reply 10 of 56
    its 250 TB and there is no need for a screen.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Now that iPod can snyc with iPhoto for holding pictures, why not have a color screen so you can see em. Just a thought.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kizoku

Now that iPod can snyc with iPhoto for holding pictures, why not have a color screen so you can see em. Just a thought.

Tats a good suggestion!! I hope Apple listens!
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Wow, this thread went downhill real fast. All he wanted to know were the new iPod features. Despite the fact that no one knows and we are all obviously too immature to guess, it would have been nice to try for him at least. Oh well, it was funnier this way.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Just to be serious for a sec...I'm sure new iPods are on their way soon, but not until after the Holidays...Because its been quite a while since the iPod was updated, I'm sure there will be something new and cool about this one...prolly no tweaking on the design, but some new feature...maybe thinner, even increasing the harddrive size somewhat...who knows!!! but I can't wait....and Apple won't dissapoint.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    My wishlist in a version 4:-

1. More codec support. AAC is great for CDs you've ripped yourself (or bought from iTMS) but converting anything lossily encoded to AAC or MP3 usually creates awful results. WMP and Ogg support would both be very welcome.

2. Full size firewire port, or failing that a mini-firewire port and a little DC power socket. The less I have to rely on special customised plugs and cables, the more comfortable I feel with something. I know some people think that the original first two iPods were unacceptably fat, hence the suggestion of mini-firewire and a DC jack, but personally I don't have a problem with it.

3. Some easy/reasonable quality way of integrating with a car stereo. The latter is more difficult, I know, but Apple setting some standards in this area would be very welcome. As it is, it's hard to find a stereo with a 3.5mm input jack socket. Both radio based and cassette adapter based connection solutions are lousy in terms of fiddliness, practicality, and sound quality.

These are important to me. All the stuff about it being a PDA, or cellphone, or picture or movie viewer, or even just plain smaller or higher capacity, I can live without. My Nokia 9290 does all of those things for me anyway. (An Apple cellphone would be pretty cool, but it shouldn't be Apple's only mobile-music solution.)
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacActually

250 GB and color screen

Oh please.......50 GB HD pod and a reasonably priced 5 gig and 10 gig ipod.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

3. Some easy/reasonable quality way of integrating with a car stereo. The latter is more difficult, I know, but Apple setting some standards in this area would be very welcome. As it is, it's hard to find a stereo with a 3.5mm input jack socket. Both radio based and cassette adapter based connection solutions are lousy in terms of fiddliness, practicality, and sound quality.

This was a big thing for me in the last 3 decks I have purchased. 2 of them had a front AUX port, so I could plug in my iPod directly (from headphone port to front aux). The most recent deck I have purchased has a rear AUX. I would never go to using a radio adaptor, and I havn't had a cassette player in my car in the 4 years I have had it.

There isn't much Apple can do here. Apple already is using a standard, and the companies with these AUX ports are using standards (either mini-stereo or that red/white thing). If you purchase an amp now, you can plug your iPod into that. But other than that, it is up to deck makers and most are starting to add these ports. AWIA, Jensen, Sony, Pioneer, and Eclipse have them (AIWA and Jensen with front, and the others with rear). I am sure others do, or will be adding them soon. I really doubt that car makers will include front AUX ports on their preinstalled stereos anytime soon.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

I really doubt that car makers will include front AUX ports on their preinstalled stereos anytime soon.

The Honda Element has one built in, it's advertised as 'designed for digital music players'

I think the Toyota Scion also has one standard.

and of course there is the smart car and the VW bug with their pod connectors.

but yeah, it's certainly not mainstreamed, but at least there are SOME options.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

the VW bug with their pod connectors.

Isn't that just a tape adapter?
  • Reply 20 of 56
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

WMP and Ogg support would both be very welcome.

No. WMP quality sucks, and Ogg is just for open source fanboise. Don't need anything but AAC. Apple will single handedly convert everyone from MP3 to MP4 eventually I bet.

All I need is MIC/LINE IN!!! And cheaper, screw bigger drive/color screen crap.

Also the Dock connector has got to go. It was a dumb idea. A real FireWire port is better. Adds more device compatibility plus hopefully someday someone will figure out a way to transfer from iPod to iPod with a FireWire. Nonstandard ports are always bad and Apple loves them but I thought they were about rid of them. ADC is also a dumbass idea I hope dies.