optical audio in - G5

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does anyone have experience using the optical audio in (G5) for capturing from cassette. I want to find appropriate s/w for capture and minor editing (eg moving tracks) before burning to CD. Really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on full blown music editing s/w.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    How would you manage that?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    You would use the line input, not the optical input.

The optical link is a digital medium that can accept digital input, ie from CD or DVD or anything that was converted to digital from analog; tapes are 100% analog so you use the analog line inputs (unless you want to buy an a->d convertor and lose some quality).... which would be a matter of getting the appropriate cable.

Then use your favorite sound recorder and you're set (like Audacity, does what you state, is free, is very buggy but can be made to work).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Ya, use the analog line in.

I would recommend Sound Studio, not buggy, straightforward, and fast.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    My cassete player has an optical audio out feature which I intend to use with the G5 optical audio in. My question regards the capture s/w as Apple does not provide this anywhere. Does anyone have experience .

jasbuf = jassd
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by jassd

My cassete player has an optical audio out feature which I intend to use with the G5 optical audio in. My question regards the capture s/w as Apple does not provide this anywhere. Does anyone have experience .

jasbuf = jassd

i think, everybody here is interested, what cassette player on earth has an optical output - would you please give us the name and manufacturer? pleeze

or is it a DAT player, which records and playbacks cassettes??

and, btw: any source which is connected with the optical in of your G5 and fullfills the standards, will be recognized in your "hardware/audio" panel as a source in the system preferences?- have a look here?-

and, please, again: what is the name of your optical-out-cassetteplayer?

PS: i'm in my mid-fourties, so, a "cassette" is for me a phillips invention made in the late 60ies, size of a pocket of cigarettes with two holes in it (never thought, i have to explain, what a cassette is )
  • Reply 6 of 8
    My error - sony cassette player is optical out for CD only. But original question stands. Using RCA out I am still looking for s/w suggestions for capture and minor editing.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19528

is a very basic tool.

search at www.versiontracker.com, try "recording"?

PS: i'm sure it's a optical-IN for cd-players....
  • Reply 8 of 8
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Get an RCA -> mini jack cable from your local radioshack or wherever, plug it into the G5's line input, use software mentioned on this thread, and you're set.

As I've said, Audacity does what you are looking for and is free.