Panther Finder - Autosize All Columns

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I remember in Steve Jobs' keynote address regarding the new 10.3 Finder that they based the designs off of iTunes interface (rather a fusion of the old Finder with iTunes anyway). However, one of the most important tools I use in iTunes is the "autosize all columns".

I find myself constantly resizing column widths within the Finder so it does not truncate file names in list view. It would be fantastic if Apple could build this simple command into the Finder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I believe something like option-double-click or option-command-double-click on the column widgets will do this. Away from my Mac right now, but try some key combos with double-clicking the column resizing widget.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Opt-double-click sets all columns to the width of the *widest* viewed column.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    opt-double-click isn't working for me. I hold down the option key and double-click on the column headers and the double-clicking only changes the alphabetical listing of the column.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Column Widgets. The little blocks at the bottom of the column scroll bars with the two vertical lines. Grab one, move it side to side, column resizes. Double-click it, column auto-resizes. Opt-double-click, all columns auto-resize, but to whatever the widest column is.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

I find myself constantly resizing column widths within the Finder so it does not truncate file names in list view.

I think he's trying to autosize the columns of the list view.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    D'oh! My bad.