how many fonts is too much?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I have about 420ish fonts activated, I find CorelDraw 11 crashes and Freehand MX 2004 also has issues... Do I have too many fonts activated?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    In OS X The Missing Manual, David Pogue says that there isn't any limit to the number of fonts you can install. I know that in OS 9 you were limited to 128 fonts. I would image that the more fonts you have installed the slower many things will become, especially graphic applications.

I currently have 130 or fonts active and I haven't noticed any kind of a performance hit but sounds like you are using quite a few fonts. Are you using a Font Management program like Suitcase or FontReserve? Just curious.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr VanNostran

In OS X The Missing Manual, David Pogue says that there isn't any limit to the number of fonts you can install. I know that in OS 9 you were limited to 128 fonts. I would image that the more fonts you have installed the slower many things will become, especially graphic applications.

I currently have 130 or fonts active and I haven't noticed any kind of a performance hit but sounds like you are using quite a few fonts. Are you using a Font Management program like Suitcase or FontReserve? Just curious.

Clarification: The classic MacOS limited you to 128 font suitcases. A suitcase traditionally contains at least four fonts, but can contain many more. IIRC, the limit was removed in MacOS 8 or MacOS 9. Currently, my Classic Fonts folder contains 146 fonts and suitcases.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr VanNostran

Are you using a Font Management program like Suitcase or FontReserve? Just curious.

I am just using Font Book.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    FreeHand MX 2004?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Haddock.

FreeHand MX 2004?

er... it is FreeHand MX V11...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lain

I am just using Font Book.

There's your problem. Font book kind of sucks when it comes to adding more fonts, and managing a lot of fonts. Wait for an update before adding or trying to manage any more than you have now.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    You only need one font - Helvetica Neue.

But that's a different story...

• Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

You only need one font - Helvetica Neue.

But that's a different story...

How did u know I was a Graphic Designer?