Which nation produces the best pop/rock musicians?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While U.S. artists probably outsell any other artist from other countries, the question posed here is quality.

We can go back to the British invasion right up to the current day scene to find that the English are probably number one. You can't deny the likes of the Beatles, Stones, Led Zepplin, Kinks, Pink Floyd, etc..the list goes on and on.

I have to give props to my fellow Canadian artists too with the likes of the GuessWho,Rush, Sarah Maclachen,etc...but we're probably still behind many others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I will said that english are the number one also.

After that i have no clue. A special nomination for US with artist such as Mickeal Jakson, and love symbol ...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I will said that english are the number one also.

After that i have no clue. A special nomination for US with artist such as Mickeal Jakson, and love symbol ...

Hmm. But what kind of musicians are we talking about? Because America is jazz music, to all intents and purposes, ain't it.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    uk
  • Reply 4 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Hmm. But what kind of musicians are we talking about? Because America is jazz music, to all intents and purposes, ain't it.

Umm...title of thread?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    per capita? brits hands down.

in the forties jazz was pop music, fifties to a certain extent too. but i know what you mean.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    The U.K. But their pop stars just barely come in a close second with the grotesque prescense and egos of U.S. mega pop stars.

The edge that U.K. pop stars have is a refinement of the grandiosity. Even with the theatrics of Iggy Pop and Alice Cooper, the U.S. can't touch the spectacle of theater that Bowie and Queen used to display.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Angleterre.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Also ??????

No-one said English till later in the thread Powerdoc - we're talking British

And everyone in Britain knows that Wales is the happening place in the UK and a welcome relief from the sanitised and emasculated muzak seeping from over the border.

John Lennon ain't nothin but the name of an airport now.

Even Tom Jones is cooler than 90% of the stuff on the music scene and he's 60.

When you add in Catatonia, Stereophonics, Manic Street Preachers, John Cale, Super Furry Animals, Gorky's Zygotic Minky.

And that's just the cool ones - apparently David Bowie has Welsh roots too.

OK britain. In france we said english for british. It's innacurate, but it's common.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Ah, I see - like saying France for Corsica sort of thing ?

go to corsica say it, and see what happen . Officialy Corsica is a part of France, at least that what corsica people voted in the last referundum.

The innacuracy is coming from the confusion between the language english and the land england wich is only a part of GB.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Umm...title of thread?

Oops.

Heh.

Quote:

Originally posted by someone Welsh

Everyone in Britain knows that Wales is the happening place in the UK and a welcome relief from the sanitised and emasculated muzak seeping from over the border.

Even Tom Jones is cooler than 90% of the stuff on the music scene and he's 60.

When you add in Catatonia, Stereophonics, Manic Street Preachers, John Cale, Super Furry Animals, Gorky's Zygotic Minky.

And that's just the cool ones - apparently David Bowie has Welsh roots too.

To which I must respond that Tom Jones is, actually, crap; Catatonia have split up; the Manic Street Preachers are old and crap; Super Furry Animals are a boring rock and roll band with groupies and stuff, who think they're Oasis; Gorky's Zygotic Mincky are utterly, utterly shit; the Stereophonics are boring; David Bowie is from Croydon.

Show me a Welsh Roots Manuva, Dizzee Rascal, Four Tet, Fridge or Icarus.

Phew.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Luckily I can't.

How about Bonnie Tyler, Shirley Bassey, Shaking Stevens or Charlotte Church ?

Kimd of ball park ?

I hang my head in shame.

And Aled Jones.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Were I to be a country and not a man, I'm not sure I would want to hold such a title. Best musicians maybe, but that's typically at strong odds with "Best Pop Musicians".

That said, I'm listening to a Simple Minds track from the 80's right now. While virtually nothing else of note came from that decade, there were some excellent and memorable pop songs.

Dont' You (Forget About Me)

Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Several from Duran Duran

Several from INXS

and many others I am too hazy to recall at this moment.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Notitaly.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Notitaly.

• Reply 15 of 20
    It's spelt mynci.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Simple - nobody rocks like the Aussies!!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Norway. Duh!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

The U.K. But their pop stars just barely come in a close second with the grotesque prescense and egos of U.S. mega pop stars.

The edge that U.K. pop stars have is a refinement of the grandiosity. Even with the theatrics of Iggy Pop and Alice Cooper, the U.S. can't touch the spectacle of theater that Bowie and Queen used to display.

Though I think of Bowie as a genius in so many ways...his early incarnations (Ziggy Stardust and the androgynous stuff) were based on two American rock bands he saw in his first time in the USA...Iggy and the Stooges and the New York Dolls.

Still, he has the knack of morphing from one vision to another. Like when he changed midway through the Diamond Dogs tour. From the Ziggy Man to the Soul Man...amazing. Frustrating to the producers who spent thousands on the set...which Bowie ordered dismantled during the tour.

I think UK does have it though America is rock's birthplace. I think UK and most other countries are just "borrowing" from us.