What brand of RAM should I buy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I will probably upgrade my alubook soon after it arrives with a second 512 module. I got one module from Apple. Would you conisder the RAM in the first section of dealram to be OK?

Brands to avoid or suggest?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    oh...and when one gets a single module from Apple...is it put into the low profile slot or standard one. Or does this model use that system like my Pismo does?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Crucial sells good stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The 15 and 17 inch Alubook have two SO-DIMM slots, who are exactly the same.

Personnaly i just bought RAM from Dane elec (10 years warranty). It's good quality ram, (this is the RAM i get for my G5).
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thanks guys
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

Crucial sells good stuff.

AFAIK, Crucial is the best. Unless you really want to overclock your mobo (bad idea IMHO), in which case I'd get Mushkin.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    transintl.com also sells good ram, and VERY good prices. that being said, i have always been a crucial customer for my professional customers.

re: the slot apple installs in, it may be too late for this, but you have to confirm that they only installed ONE chip in the ibook. if so, they install it in the more difficult slot, so you don't have to worry about it, and leave the upper one blank.

yes, apple charges WAY too much for ram, but i would rather have one large chip i never have to swap out, versus two smaller ones, one of which i would probably have to toss eventually if i ever wanted to upgrade.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I've never had any problems with Kingston memory
  • Reply 8 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm almost positive that Apple's computers are installed with Crucial.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Crucial is definitely the way to go for budget ram. I'm using Crucial in my PowerBook G3 with no problems. For desktops I use Mushkin. Yea, they are on the pricey side, but you cannot beat the quality and warranty. Lifetime replacement warranty was one the factors that led me to Mushkin. I've used them in several systems and will continue to do so.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Well it's a 15" Ai book....but anyway. I think crucial sounds good . Though I bought OWC once for my pismo and had no problem
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I just ordered a 12 inch alubook today and ordered a 256 stick for the open slot from crucial for $43, best deal I could find for that size, I was surprised - got free 2nd day shipping too.