Help Viewer Frozen???

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was just curious if anyone else has this problem. I am running 10.3.1 and everytime i click on my help viewer (I'm trying to learn Xcode and help is essential for me) and nothing. It freezes. I have deleted preferences, caches, and tried little snitch which blocks apps from trying to access the internet. Little snitch works (kinda) but is there a way to get my help working??? The problem with little snitch is that it works once then quits. I don't know if this is help viewer or little snitch. I would imagine it is little snitch. So it looks like the viewer is trying to access the internet...which it can because I have an always on connection and then it freezes and gives me the beach ball of doom. Any suggestions are welcome!!

chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Does Safari work or does that freeze on launch also? If both Safari and HelpViewer don't work then you most likely have a font conflict.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

Does Safari work or does that freeze on launch also? If both Safari and HelpViewer don't work then you most likely have a font conflict.

no safari works fine...i am actually replying to you using it....I have gotten the help packets to open after clicking examine package and opening the htm file...but i don't want to do that every time...its kinda annoying..

thanks
  • Reply 3 of 7
    actually i just left the help viewer for like 1 min and it worked fine...weird...thanks a lot for your help...it takes one min everytime though...any suggestions for that?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    So it takes ~1min to launch?

I'd fire up Console and see what it's waiting on. Could be trying to contact the mothership for documentation updates.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Did you try it with Little Snitch off? Help Viewer always goes to tne web for a lot of its stuff.

Also, Xcode has all the documentation you need right in the app, along with an excellent keyword search. All under the Help menu.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Dupe post - pls ignore
  • Reply 7 of 7
    thanks for the xcode help...i knew it had good help...i just wasn't able to get at it...as for little snitch...it works with it off but takes upto a minute and with it on it takes significantly less time. I also am not quite sure how to use the console...i started it up and opened "Mac Help" in the finder and nothing happened in the console...but if i opened another app stuff happened...thanks for the suggestions!