This is what i see

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i believe as usual there is a bit of disinformation being leaked to the rumour sites.

an a prime example of this i believe is the availablity of ibms 0.09um chips.

first things first.

the o.o9um 970.

its being widely reported that the chips in the next revision of the powermac g5 will only go to 2.4 ghz.

i dont believe it for a second.

apple has had 0.13um 970's chips at 2.5 ghz for a while now.

why only go to 2.4ghz?

my hunch is we will see 2.8ghz announced at MWSF2004.

thats just my gut feeling here.

also the 750vx chip is another enigma.

this chip was suppose to be ready a while ago.

and mr.mcphisto has stated that they were almost rushed into production last summer.

remember the LOOOONG wait for new powerbooks last fall?

mr.macphisto has stated that the 0.09um version of the chip should be ready by EARLY 2004.

so why are all the rumour sites saying late 2004?

the design of the chip has been finalized a while ago,what is taking so long a die shrink?

I THINK NOT.

also we all know the "new" imac is coming soon.

what are they going to put into it...a g5?

i dont think so.

remember the rumour sites are saying it will have a "cube" form-factor.

putting a g5 in an imac regardless of clock speed does not i believe lend itself to a "cube" form-factor.

i think the imacs will be getting this "vx" chip.

"you all have been living in a dream world"

this........i believe is the TRUTH.

i would like mr macphisto to chime in on my assertions if possible.

prepare to be amazed.................

AGAIN@!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    I don't think that Apple will release a 2.8Ghz G5, I think it'll be 2.6Ghz. There hasn't been any info going around saying the G5 can scale that high yet. As for the 750xv. I have not the slightest clue what Apple is going to do with this processor. It is a g3 correct? If it is, what product would they put it in. The iBook has already gone to G4. What apple shoud do is make a smaller tower g3, at like 1.6Ghz or something, and sell it for $499. would include 512Ram, 60GB, GF4 MX440. CD-RW.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I don't think that Apple will release a 2.8Ghz G5, I think it'll be 2.6Ghz. There hasn't been any info going around saying the G5 can scale that high yet. As for the 750xv. I have not the slightest clue what Apple is going to do with this processor. It is a g3 correct? If it is, what product would they put it in. The iBook has already gone to G4. What apple shoud do is make a smaller tower g3, at like 1.6Ghz or something, and sell it for $499. would include 512Ram, 60GB, GF4 MX440. CD-RW.

The 750vx is really in a class of its own. It has Altivec, runs on a 400MHz DDR bus, up to 4MB L3 cache, and is based more closely to the G3 than the G4. However, if Apple were to use it, I am sure they would call it a G4 because of the altivec.

I havn't heard much about its multi-processor ability, but if Apple uses it in an iBook/eMac/copnsumer machine, duals arn't really needed.

According to a news blurb on AI, it supposedly will start out around 1.8GHz...
  • Reply 3 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

The 750vx is really in a class of its own. It has Altivec, runs on a 400MHz DDR bus, up to 4MB L3 cache, and is based more closely to the G3 than the G4. However, if Apple were to use it, I am sure they would call it a G4 because of the altivec.

I havn't heard much about its multi-processor ability, but if Apple uses it in an iBook/eMac/copnsumer machine, duals arn't really needed.

According to a news blurb on AI, it supposedly will start out around 1.8GHz...

Maybe Apple will call it the G4+ or the G4.5 or the G4 and a little something on the side. Whatever Apple calls it will be fine as long as it is not just G4.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Maybe Apple will call it the G4+ or the G4.5 or the G4 and a little something on the side. Whatever Apple calls it will be fine as long as it is not just G4.

I don't know. The way I see it, boxes listing requirements currently say "800MHz G4 or better". This 750vx is an equivilent of a G4 (because of altivec), so if they just call it a G4, then people wont get confused over requirements. It is hard to figure this one out, but I am sure if Apple plans on using this, their Marketing department will come up with something.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

I don't know. The way I see it, boxes listing requirements currently say "800MHz G4 or better". This 750vx is an equivilent of a G4 (because of altivec), so if they just call it a G4, then people wont get confused over requirements. It is hard to figure this one out, but I am sure if Apple plans on using this, their Marketing department will come up with something.

I think apple needs to give it a name that shows that is different that the g4. Which it is... but without making it look any less of a processer then the g4.

I would like to see some benchmarks of the processer vs the g4 from MoTo.

Anyway how will the g5 compare to the new chip? That I would like to know most.
  • Reply 6 of 69
    If it performs similar or better than the Moto G4, then I dont see why they should'nt call it a G4...
  • Reply 7 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

If it performs similar or better than the Moto G4, then I dont see why they should'nt call it a G4...

Because G4 stands for the forth generation of the PPC processer. This is a new chip that is closer to the third generation PPC (the G3) with an altvec unit from the fifth generation PPC so calling it a G4 would be deceiving. That is why Apple marketing needs a different name for this chip (different thatn G4). We also have to consider that the current consumer line is all G4 based so calling it a G3x would make peeple think that apple is downgrading. It needs a name that shows that it is not just a G3 but something more, and that it will leave the G4 in its dust.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    How about calling it a lower case "g"?
  • Reply 9 of 69
    Why is it more like the G3, than the G4?

It's rumored to have the same pipeline-depth, the same SIMD-technology, a faster FSB (than standard G3s), I don't know about the FPU, but even if it's like the G3, the 750VX still is more close to the G4 than the G3.

Remember, the G4 is just a G3 with MPX-bus, enhanced FPU, and Altivec. The 750VX is easily the IBM version of the G4.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    according to rumours, the 750 VX will be the best G4 ever.

1 MB Ram vs 512 K for the 7447

7 stages pipeline like the 745X line

400 Mhz bus (200 mhz DDR) compared to the lame 166 mhz bus of the 7457

90 nm process

The others points are unknow :

- BPU (the one of the PPC 970 or a less advanced one)

- how many executive units, and what kind of them ?

- VMX unit ( i guess it's nearly the same one than the PPC 97O).
  • Reply 11 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

Why is it more like the G3, than the G4?

It's rumored to have the same pipeline-depth, the same SIMD-technology, a faster FSB (than standard G3s), I don't know about the FPU, but even if it's like the G3, the 750VX still is more close to the G4 than the G3.

Remember, the G4 is just a G3 with MPX-bus, enhanced FPU, and Altivec. The 750VX is easily the IBM version of the G4.

Ummm the chip is named the 750vx. The IBM PPC 750xx processer is the G3 according to Apple marketing, the 750vx is just the newest member that is still based on the first 750 core. The G4 made my MoTo was not just a G3 with extras it was a redesign of MoTo's version of the G3 (yes moto made a G3). It shares some resemblance to the G3 but it is just that... resemblance.

I understand whare you are comming from... it sounds the same, spec wise, but there is a difference. So lets say you have a floor plan to your house infront of you, and the floor plan to a house down the street from your house. Yes, they both have the same style bathrooms, bedrooms and doors, but does that make them the same house?
  • Reply 12 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

according to rumours, the 750 VX will be the best G4 ever.

--snip--

Roumor has it that I still don't think it will be called a G4.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    Quote:

Ummm the chip is named the 750vx. The IBM PPC 750xx processer is the G3 according to Apple marketing, the 750vx is just the newest member that is still based on the first 750 core. The G4 made my MoTo was not just a G3 with extras it was a redesign of MoTo's version of the G3 (yes moto made a G3). It shares some resemblance to the G3 but it is just that... resemblance.

I understand whare you are comming from... it sounds the same, spec wise, but there is a difference.

You can't convince me until you tell me the other differences between the 750 and the 7400 are.

Why should the 750VX be called a G3, when it has all it takes to be called a G4?
  • Reply 14 of 69
    Well, they can't call it a G5 and they won't call it a G6. They also can't call it a G3, because we're past that now. So this really only leaves G4, or what I think is most likely G4+ or G4x etc. Remember some comment from an Apple big-wig that the" G4 had a lot of life left in it."
  • Reply 15 of 69
    G4 +
  • Reply 16 of 69
    If this is what you see, then you need glasses
  • Reply 17 of 69
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekmeet

. . . also the 750vx chip is another enigma.

this chip was suppose to be ready a while ago. . . .

Do you have the 750GX and 750VX mixed up? The GX is Gobi, which should be available about now. The VX is Mojave, which was predicted to come out after Gobi. From older information, Mojave not only has an AltiVec-like SIMD unit but supports SMP, making it very much like a Motorola G4. These old rumors stated it was an all new design, with a new bus and emphasis on low power. This is old stuff, however, and possibly much has changed.

I too would not be surprised to see it early next year.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Hmm.

The "750VX" doesn't appear to exist. The "VX" (the project's apparent name within IBM) won't be in the 750 line because it's not a G3. It will have 7 pipeline stages, like the 745x G4, VMX like the 745x G4, and what sounds like an all-new DDR 60x bus, which is... well, it's better than an SDR 60x bus. There's a rumor here that seems to imply that the VMX unit from the 970 will be bolted on to this thing, but it probably doesn't mean to imply that, because that's silly. It'll have its own VMX unit, tuned for a shorter-pipelined processor with less OOE capability. IBM did it for the 970, they can do it again.

So what we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is an IBM G4. It will look even more like a G4 than anything in the 750 line. Why would Apple call it anything other than a G4? It's basically IBM's crack at a 7457, not anything radical or evolutionary. Given that the pipeline depth is the same, I'd imagine that any clock speed gains will come from the better process (90nm) and better fabrication and yields. A seven-stage pipeline is just not built to scale up like a 970 or a P4.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    Let's just hope they finally kick that 60x-bus out.

How about an IBM G4 with the elastic bus of the 970?
  • Reply 20 of 69
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

So lets say you have a floor plan to your house infront of you, and the floor plan to a house down the street from your house. Yes, they both have the same style bathrooms, bedrooms and doors, but does that make them the same house?

this is pointless if you see it as one house which you can buy off the shelves (like it's the point with processors). if you just buy one of those and put it down the street and another one an put it up the street - the house could be put anywhere but will stay the same