Ut2k4

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Havn't heard anyone say anything about this, but is looks like UT2K4 will come out for Mac and PC at the same time. That is pretty good for the mac gaming community! I can't wait!

Now if only those people working on Half Life 2 would be so kind...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Definitely. Wonder how it will play on a PowerBook 12" 867mzh w/ 640 RAM..
  • Reply 2 of 54
    Kind of surprising how the original UT went for so long without a sequel, then UT 2k3 is released, and now they are already doiing UT2k4

I hear there are vehicles in this one

I love the original UT, but 2k3 didn't really do it for me, maybe 2k4 will be better.

either way, that is great news that they are doing a simultaneous release, help get the message out that macs can be valid gaming machines
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Yeah I never got used to 2k3. I liked the old sniper rifle. Charge someone, shoot anywhere near there chest, and it rings out "HEAD SHOT!" 8)
  • Reply 4 of 54
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Yeah, DOOM III is going to be great. Oh, sorry, wrong thread.

• Reply 5 of 54
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I hear there are vehicles in this one

Yea, vehicles. I'll zoom out for you.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Yeah I never got used to 2k3. I liked the old sniper rifle. Charge someone, shoot anywhere near there chest, and it rings out "HEAD SHOT!" 8)

The headshot announcement got a little boring for me, so I installed a mod that changed "HEADSHOT!" to "CROTCHSHOT!" and also changed the approprate "target" area.

Good fun!
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:

Yeah, DOOM III is going to be great. Oh, sorry, wrong thread.

heretic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 54
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Definitely. Wonder how it will play on a PowerBook 12" 867mzh w/ 640 RAM..

I'm guessing it just about won't.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I don't see much graphical diference between 2003 and 2004, and I don't think that anyone who can run 2003 acceptably won't be able to play 2004.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    2003 was pretty much ignored by hardcore UT players

all that silly grunting and etc . . .

Not as ellegant as the original

maybe that is why they made a quick update . . . hopefully

either way, I can't play 2003 or 04 on my dual 500 . . . so I don't really care until I get my G5 . .. . . or by the time I can afford it G6
  • Reply 10 of 54
    UT2K4 is an expansion pack. No incommensurabilities could exist.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Havn't heard anyone say anything about this, but is looks like UT2K4 will come out for Mac and PC at the same time. That is pretty good for the mac gaming community! I can't wait!

Now if only those people working on Half Life 2 would be so kind...

IT'S OFFICIAL!

MacNN scoop

...and the virtually identical Macminute story

Awesome.

EDIT: I found a great Macworld UK article that provides a much better story.

Macworld UT2004
  • Reply 12 of 54
    And it will be G5 OPTIMIZED! Great. This thing should scream on a G5.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Now, UT 2003 was ten times worse than the original UT. So will UT 2004 be ten times worse than UT 2003, and one hundred times worse than the original?
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Vehicles, Big Maps, All is needed now is a Jet Pack and there could be a better version of Tribes2.

I loved that game, played it for a number 1 team in europe. Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Hmph, either Apple has to release a cheaper and capable G5 system, or I have to get a PC for Uni. \

G5 it is then.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Now, UT 2003 was ten times worse than the original UT. So will UT 2004 be ten times worse than UT 2003, and one hundred times worse than the original?

Can you enlighten us on what you don't like about 2003? The only thing that I disliked was the omission of Assault, but that issue appears to be moot with 2004.

I'm curious to hear what you have to say.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Can you enlighten us on what you don't like about 2003? The only thing that I disliked was the omission of Assault, but that issue appears to be moot with 2004.

I'm curious to hear what you have to say.

I've been playing the original UT since the demo was released in late October of '99 (or was it November?) Anyway...

When UT2003 came out I bought it immediately and was very disappointed.

It looks great, but they screwed up the gameplay completely.

It feels too floatly with all that double jumping crap, forced relics on us with that adreneline BS and, most importantly, the weapons pretty much suck compared to the original UT.

And what happened to the OS X port of UT? I'm still waiting for that so that I can get rid of my Pee Cee.

I won't be playing UT2003 again or 2004, but the Unreal II XMP Demo is really, really fun.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    I have to agree that I feel less connected to the game in UT than I do in Quake, and doublejump is really unrealistic. But otherwise I enjoy it.

If you don't like adrenaline, don't use it!
  • Reply 19 of 54
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Cake, the UT port to OSX has been out for ages.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    And you know what? It doesn't work. Not in Classic either, gives me the same C++ -48 runtime error or something, tried on 10.2.6 and and 10.2.8. With preview 3. That open source project has been going for years but hasn't turned anything out yet, has it? Maybe Preview 3 will work in Panther. I'll test that in a few weeks when I get the Pantha.