Saddam Has Been Captured

Comments

• Reply 61 of 269
    <fires gun into the air>

<runs to avoid falling bullet>

?and the real truth comes out -- Saddam dyed his mustache!

Here's to a fair trial by his peers. He deserves it. (The outcome of a fair trial for him is perfectly obvious.)
  • Reply 62 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

[snip]

Here's to a fair trial by his peers. He deserves it. (The outcome of a fair trial for him is perfectly obvious.)

Umm... getting a pineapple crammed up his ass every day for the rest of his life?
  • Reply 63 of 269
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

My views on how a monster should be treated puts me at a level of mass murderers, rapists, and terrorists?

Unfortunately yes. Because he's a human being just like the members of your family in Bosnia and Croatia.
  • Reply 64 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Umm... getting a pineapple crammed up his ass every day for the rest of his life?

Sounds like a plan to me....
  • Reply 65 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Unfortunately yes. Because he's a human being just like the members of your family in Bosnia and Croatia.

To each their own...
  • Reply 66 of 269
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

and I'm no better than Saddam, Udai, and Quasai? I'm sure you don't mean that...I've never hurt anyone in my life.

You were never at the helm of a state and never held absolute power. It is always easy to behave civilized if you are one of millions of ordinary guys. See Milosevic, he never tortured, raped or killed anyone until he had the power in his hands.
  • Reply 67 of 269
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    This must be the best news of the week! Lets hope attacks on poor iraqi civilians and innocent soldiers will decease. And may peace prevail in Iraq this festive season.
  • Reply 68 of 269
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

This is entirely wrong. This is a time when good must defeat evil, not become evil itself. Try him for his crimes, and execute him quick and mercifully. To torture him would be doing the very things he is loathed for.

Yes.
  • Reply 69 of 269
    So what are the odds that Guantanamo is getting a special new inmate?

One would think that clearly, Saddam counts as a POW (Iraqi commander-in-chief) and not an "enemy combatant", but US adherence to the Geneva convention seems a little loose whenever the "terrorist" filter gets applied, and the desire for extended interrogation without the inconvenience of pesky lawyers may mean a stay in Cuba.
  • Reply 70 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

You were never at the helm of a state and never held absolute power. It is always easy to behave civilized if you are one of millions of ordinary guys. See Milosevic, he never tortured, raped or killed anyone until he had the power in his hands.

There's a big difference between killing millions of innocent civilians and wanting to see the murderer of millions of innocent civilians treated as he treated millions and their families. But obviously my comments are being taken to places I never intended them to go, so let's let this thread get back on topic...
  • Reply 71 of 269
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

he is supposed to be tried in an Iraqi court. I heard that they must wait after the independance in order to start the trial.

Saddam's Hussein trial, belongs to Iraqi people.

Aw. What a quaint notion. The Iraqi People!

NO!

If he has committed war crimes, then that's something the Hague should handle. It would also be a great gesture from the Bush administration which has unilaterally pursued its foreign policy goals to give up Saddam to international authorities.
  • Reply 72 of 269
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Well...that's what I would do. But I'm sure we'll just try him, convict him, and lock him up for the rest of his life. I don't believe International law allows the death penalty to be enacted after the conviction of war criminals anymore. I just say make the law that he follows (eye for an eye) applicable to the monster that he is...I see no reason for mercy for such a person, if Saddam could be considered a person. Or better yet...hand him over to the families of those he tortured and killed and let them do with him what they will...

Quote:

Death is too good for this man. They should torture him with the means he used to torture thousands...hell...even make up a few techniques. Pull out his finger nails one by one, pour scalding acid on his skin to melt it off...stuff like that. He deserves no less, and neither does bin Laden when we get him.

Hello, Saddam. How are the authorities treating you?
  • Reply 73 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Hello, Saddam. How are the authorities treating you?

Well, they shaved my beard, got the lice out of my hair...man it was crazy down in that hole. I made friends with a rat named Bubba...those were good times...
  • Reply 74 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I LOVE the lice inspection footage. So embarrassing. I wonder if they also checked him for dingleberries (weapons of ass destruction)

• Reply 75 of 269
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Aw. What a quaint notion. The Iraqi People!

NO!

If he has committed war crimes, then that's something the Hague should handle. It would also be a great gesture from the Bush administration which has unilaterally pursued its foreign policy goals to give up Saddam to international authorities.

In egyptia for example the public opinion want a trial in Iraq ruled by Iraqi people.

Saddam have never done anything against me. At the contrary he have done several crimes among his population. And his population have the right to have a trial, where victims or their family could speak.

It will be a form of therapy for Iraqi people
  • Reply 76 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

what's with the ass fetish around here. are you guys gay?
  • Reply 77 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

So the only loonatic still in the wild is GWB now.

Not quite. Lieberman's statement has to be seen to be believed.
  • Reply 78 of 269
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

• Reply 79 of 269
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Oh superb! Let the insults fly. Unless you have an argument to counter what I posted, then take your rolleyes smiley and.....

Like Bush or hate him, this is huge for him politically It's huge for Iraq. It's huge for the troops and coalition.

Tell me otherwise.

I'm sorry if that rolleyes hurt your feewings. You made a stupid post, and deserved it. Just consider it tough love. It hurt me more than it hurt you.

Do you really not see how crass it is to talk about how this affects Bush in his domestic political situation, hours after this happens? I'm sure there are plenty of Bush's political hacks who see things that way, but why must you? Are you on Karl Rove's e-mail distribution list or something?

"Tell me otherwise" - OK. The only way it helps Bush is if this changes the situation in Iraq. If it slows down the daily killing of US soldiers, it may make people's perception of the situation as a quagmire somewhat less negative than it is now. The drawback of the new framing of this military action as a humanitarian one, done for the Iraqi people, rather than to defend the US from Iraq's WMD, is that it matters less to Americans. "OK, great, we got him, now let's get out so we can stop spending money and getting Americans killed" will be the response, IMO. And of course we can't do that.

And whether it slows down the killing of US troops really depends on the source of the attacks. If these attacks were being carried out primarily by Saddam loyalists, hoping for the day that he could return to power, then this will obviously help. On the other hand, it could also tick them off enough that there will be an increase in attacks. Especially if, as suspected, there's a lengthy show trial in Iraq. But if these attacks are not from Sodomites, but rather bin-Ladenites, as many have suggested, then this won't phase them at all.
  • Reply 80 of 269
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Good news....but no time to gloat.

The trial, (if Saddam remains alive for it), will hopefully be open and non-compromised. This can only happen if held in an international court, such as The Hague. It will be most fascinating to see who will be dragged into the proceedings, who was accessory to Saddam's brutality, who supported him, who turned a blind eye to his massacres, who financed him and coddled him, who was allied to him, who did business with him, sold arms to him, and who was associated with him throughout the years when he authorized some of his worst atrocities, back in the late 1970s and throughout the entire 1980s. That famous news clip of Rumsfeld warmly shaking the hand of Saddam in 1984 (?) surrounded by other senior Reagan and Saddam admininistration(s) officials still is recommended viewing.

What this means to the insurgency is an unknown....but it's doubtful that a this disshevelled scarecrow of a man living in a hole in the ground was the force directing the resistance. Saddam, the way it looks probably had little communications with those loyal to him for fear of the coalition zeroing in on him right away.

It's only good that it's over re. Saddam.

One down, TWO to go...then maybe we can dance in the streets.