Should I buy this 17" Apple Display?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I was out drinking tonight and cam home to sober up and found this deal...

17"

I have an iBook 500 and wouldn't mind having something that looked cool/I could put my iBook under to work with...is it worth the $42 shipping? It only costs $95 plus the $42 shipping so total is about $137... should I pay this much for an older apple 17"? I've used one at school before and I didn't mind the image quality- or should I have me money?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Too late. I just bought it.

JK
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I also have another question...

I'm going to Europe this summer for a Photo Communication Study Abroad program. We're using digital SLR's to shoot. I'm planning on getting a canon digital rebel (possibly for Christmas). My iBook only has a 20 gig drive of which I only have 3.6 gigs free. Shooting with a 6 mega pixel camera is going to eat my hard drive for lunch!

Should I:

a. Buy a new 60 gig 2.5" drive and try to replace my internal drive myself and then get a small firewire enclosure for the old 20 gig?

or

b. Get a small firewire external 60 gig drive?

or

c. Other.

If I go with b. I want the drive to be small and light because I don't feel like lugging around a huge full size drive around Europe for a month.

I'm on a semi-tight budget too.

thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    get the 60 external unless you're very comfortable working on laptops.

a HD replacement on a dual USB iBook is probably the toughest HD replacement in any Apple computer ever.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

get the 60 external unless you're very comfortable working on laptops.

a HD replacement on a dual USB iBook is probably the toughest HD replacement in any Apple computer ever.

What external drive should I get?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Go to www.newegg.com and look around. 2.5" Firewire drive cases are about $30, and a 60 GB 2.5" laptop drive will cost about $170. You could stay with a slow 4200 RPM drive, or you could bump the speed up a notch and go for a 5400 RPM drive.

Toshiba's 60 GB 4200 RPM drive is $169 and the 5400 RPM version is $175, only $6 more. Hitachi has the 60 GB 5400 RPM for $169, and an 80 GB version for a whole lot more ($251). Seagate also has a laptop drive, a 40 GB 5400 RPM, but it's not cheap enough ($156) to be worth it. May as well spend the extra $15 for a 60 GB drive.

And remember, if you're ever feeling adventurous, you can always swap the drives later.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Oh yeah another thing. I haven't personally used the graphite studio displays, but my brother has a blue one and it's really, really good. As good as an LCD in my opinion. I'd look for a blue one instead of a gray one, though, because the blue ones use Diamondtron tubes instead of Trinitron tubes, and I prefer the look of the Diamondtrons myself.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Go to www.newegg.com and look around. 2.5" Firewire drive cases are about $30, and a 60 GB 2.5" laptop drive will cost about $170. You could stay with a slow 4200 RPM drive, or you could bump the speed up a notch and go for a 5400 RPM drive.

Toshiba's 60 GB 4200 RPM drive is $169 and the 5400 RPM version is $175, only $6 more. Hitachi has the 60 GB 5400 RPM for $169, and an 80 GB version for a whole lot more ($251). Seagate also has a laptop drive, a 40 GB 5400 RPM, but it's not cheap enough ($156) to be worth it. May as well spend the extra $15 for a 60 GB drive.

And remember, if you're ever feeling adventurous, you can always swap the drives later.

Alright- I managed to find this drive- I can get it for $193 shipped with a 60 gig 4200 rpm TOSHIBA OR IBM drive in it. Is that a good deal?

Or I could get a 30 gig QPS M2 stackable drive for only $99 direct from the QPS store...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hey, here's a question: those 17" mobius strip-legged Studio Displays (from about 2 years ago or so) were ADC, right? Those would work with my PowerBook, woudn't they?

I was just thinking, down the road, about an external display. This one had a flat screen and, because of its design/base, had tilt/swivel mobility.

Probably much cheaper than any LCD Apple will be coming out with (or already has).

And let's be honest: they look GREAT.

Anyone own one or used one extensively and has good OR bad things to say about it?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Hey, here's a question: those 17" mobius strip-legged Studio Displays (from about 2 years ago or so) were ADC, right? Those would work with my PowerBook, woudn't they?

I was just thinking, down the road, about an external display. This one had a flat screen and, because of its design/base, had tilt/swivel mobility.

Probably much cheaper than any LCD Apple will be coming out with (or already has).

And let's be honest: they look GREAT.

Anyone own one or used one extensively and has good OR bad things to say about it?

pscates,

I have that monitor, and it is a charm and a pleasure to use. It is by far the best CRT I've used, especially since I take the time to calibrate the colors. However, it will NOT work with your powerbook because the DVI to ADC converter does not support this monitor. I know this because I was recently in the market for a new video card and back then the only upgrade I was considering was the Radeon 8500 which does not have ADC. I ended up waiting until the Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition came out just for the ADC connection, but I have problems with this card because of some driver issues. I digress, but you cannot use this monitor with your laptop.

Sorry!

Blueflame