Pro Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Evidence points to it, and I've been waiting for it - two very good reasons that a new Pro, multibutton, bluetooth alu keyboard/mouse should be introduced in January.

(well, it should've been introduced a long time ago - but that's a different point)

Opinions?

P.S. does anyone have strange spacing problems within Safari text boxes/address bar every so often? As in, the cursor isn't hovering over the right spot and there are strange spaces everywhere?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Malokata

P.S. does anyone have strange spacing problems within Safari text boxes/address bar every so often? As in, the cursor isn't hovering over the right spot and there are strange spaces everywhere?

All the time. From what I've read, it seems this is a very common problem with Safari under Panther.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    I'm hoping that there is a new Pro (aluminium-styled) keyboard/mouse bluetooth combo to match the PM, along with new displays too!

However, I wouldn't hold my breath for a multi-button mouse
  • Reply 3 of 15
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    and i just got my bluetooth keyboard today...

bah

o well no complaints with it and other than cosmetic changes i don't see apple doing anything with the keyboard anytime soon
  • Reply 4 of 15
    We won't see a multi-button mouse from Apple, not a chance. If you want one, go for a third party. New keyboard? Could happen, but the multi-button mouse will never happen.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What "evidence", other than everyone wanting it?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

What "evidence", other than everyone wanting it?

It's Apple! The original one button mouse! This will never change, at least while Steve is around. Macs are easier to use for those who don't know computers well, and more powerful for those who need power. A one button mouse is easier to use, most consumers don't need a second button because they won't know what to do with it. If a more pro user (or even just more advanced user) wants a second button, they can get a third party product.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well, it seems it won't change but SJ is great at surprising even us seasoned fanatics. That 20" iMac blew me away, same with the 17" PowerBook. The new iMac was quite a surprise, so was the Bluetooth mouse. Suffice to say we want one. DMB more people in America have used computers than haven't, and most people have of course used two button Windows mice, and therefore most people are actually confused by a one button mouse that requires you to control click. A two button scroller isn't too complicated but it does initiate bad interfaces, non WYSIWYG. Windows NEEDS all those contextual menus because its apps suck at GUIs. It encourages bad interfaces. And so the debate rages on...

I just want a bluetooth mouse designed for my 12" PowerBook, one WITHOUT a receiver!!! Where are thou MacAlly and Logitech and Kensington?!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    The "evidence" I'm recalling, from our earlier speculations, is Apple's renaming of its keyboard and mouse set from "Pro Keyboard and Mouse" to "corded" and calling the bluetooth simply "Bluetooth", with nothing filling in the "pro" gap. Also the color scheme, though that's a bit shaky as evidence; the current strategy is consumer = white, pro = aluminum.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Upon thinking about it, I bet Apple will eventually make a non-one button mouse, quite possible for this MWSF. But of course it won't be a two button scroller. It will be something revolutionary of course. And I'm betting it will be that "just one more thing..."!!!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    One thing Apple could do that most keyboard manufacturers don't: make a Bluetooth keyboard with no numeric keypad.

For me, and I'd guess 80% of users, the keypad is just a nuisance. It's precisely where the mouse should be. Also, if the keyboard is cordless and you're using it from your lap, you don't want a numeric keypad screwing up the balance.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

One thing Apple could do that most keyboard manufacturers don't: make a Bluetooth keyboard with no numeric keypad...

Hear hear! They can make a corded keyboard with no numeric keypad. The industry has built millions of keyboards with numeric keypads merely for a tiny fraction of users - accountants - surely a much tinier fraction of the user community than those who want a two-button mouse.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Ya, I guess it is much easier for consumers to use the control key instead of the right button, and who uses a scroll wheal for scrolling web pages anyway. [insert major sarcasm]

I talked to a friend of the family who is pretty far up towards the top of food chain at Apple and tried to plead my point for the need of a two button mouse and/or at least a scroll wheal. I told him that I didn't know anyone who uses the original single button mouse. His reply was that he does. That was the end of that part of our discussion.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Malokata

The "evidence" I'm recalling, from our earlier speculations, is Apple's renaming of its keyboard and mouse set from "Pro Keyboard and Mouse" to "corded" and calling the bluetooth simply "Bluetooth", with nothing filling in the "pro" gap. Also the color scheme, though that's a bit shaky as evidence; the current strategy is consumer = white, pro = aluminum.

Yes, but remember WHY they were called "Pro" in the first place. They were replacements for the original USB Mouse (puck) and keyboard (no num-pad) that came with the first few iMacs.

Just because they have taken the "Pro" away does NOT mean they're going to add in back again to something new.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Hear hear! They can make a corded keyboard with no numeric keypad. The industry has built millions of keyboards with numeric keypads merely for a tiny fraction of users - accountants - surely a much tinier fraction of the user community than those who want a two-button mouse.

Accountants? I'm a designer and find my numeric keypad-less AlBook almost unusable for design. I type numbers all the time when designing, when accessing online accounts and when entering contact information into Address Book. It's so much faster than typing numbers arranged horizontally.

However, I would certainly welcome a keyboard with a detachable bluetooth numeric pad. I would prefer my numeric pad to sit to the right of my mouse.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I saw a nice keyboard by Logitech that has a separate numeric keypad from the main keyboard, the idea being that you put the mouse between the keypad and the keyboard (where it should be instead of WAY off to the side). It would be cool if Apple did that, and easy to do with a wireless connection.

Apple will keep the one button mouse around, probably for as long as there are Macs. It makes sense. I used to be in the "no one likes the one button mouse, just kill it" camp, but now I have to say that although I like my 8-button mouse (), they should still keep the one button around. Anyone who wants a two button mouse will buy one. There are perhaps hundreds of different USB mice to choose from, most of which cost $30 or less. Who uses the crappy 2-button ball mouse w/o scroll wheel that ships with their Dell? No one. The keyboard is a bit different, because people rarely replace these or get new ones, but the mouse is something that people have varied opinions on. You can't make one that everyone likes so I think Apple's doing the next best thing by making one that no other company offers. My parents both use their Pro mice because they've been using the Mac OS since 1988, and they're used to it.

By the way, the original USB keyboard did have a numeric keypad. It was missing a few keys between the keypad and the keyboard - the arrow keys were smaller and kept under the right side shift key, the page up, page down, home, and delete keys were put above the numeric keypad, and the help and end keys were eliminated (as were the right side option and control keys). It was very much like the old Apple ADB Keyboard (not the Extended keyboard).