ichat with pc's on a LAN

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there any app on the PC side that would allow me to chat with them using iChat?

If not, which apps would you recomend on bouth sides to chat on a mixed LAN.

I've allready tried it using AOL, but it doesn't work since I only have internet access on one of my Computers (I can't share this connection because of my ISP).

Any suggestions?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    has anybody used QuickPopup link ?

It seems quite expensive. for Video there would be ophonex (open source), but i just want a lite app for text.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    what kind of internet connection is it? and why can't you share it? How will they tell if you did? I'd say get a router and use it as a gateway.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    "what kind of internet connection is it? and why can't you share it? How will they tell if you did? I'd say get a router and use it as a gateway."

I'm using a USB modem to connect to my DSL provider. This is why I have to connect the thing directly to one computer. The modem driver doesn't want to let me share the connection. My provider says I have to buy the pro-service to get more than one computer online at a time :-(.

I could only use a router if I had a ethernet-modem..
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    You can use IRC to chat!

Get pircd Beta One from

http://pircd.sourceforge.net/

Double-click "pircd" to start the program.

Then get X-chat from

http://xchataqua.sourceforge.net/

For the PC users, get mirc from Tucows

The server is your computer name

The port is 6667

The channel is any channel you like (#chat for example)

Have fun!!!

Edit: direct download for Xchat Aqua 0.11.0
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

"what kind of internet connection is it? and why can't you share it? How will they tell if you did? I'd say get a router and use it as a gateway."

I'm using a USB modem to connect to my DSL provider. This is why I have to connect the thing directly to one computer. The modem driver doesn't want to let me share the connection. My provider says I have to buy the pro-service to get more than one computer online at a time :-(.

I could only use a router if I had a ethernet-modem..

Get a router that supports a usb modem, they are out there.